As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
These Italian Pinwheels are quick, easy and made with Italian lunch meats, cheese, pepperoncinis, tomatoes and a zesty cream cheese spread. Perfect for parties, potlucks, lunch, a snack or appetizer that everyone will love! These pinwheels also make an excellent make-ahead appetizer!
These Italian Pinwheels are loaded with my favorite Italian lunch meats and cheese that get rolled up in an Italian seasoned cream cheese spread. They taste just like an Italian sandwich but in a cute bite-size form. This recipe is simple, it only takes 10 minutes to make and can easily be made-ahead. Keep reading to get more tips!
Similar to my Turkey Cheddar Lunch Roll Ups , Smoked Salmon Roll Ups and Salami Roll Ups, these are easy to make and kids will love them too! Pack them up in a lunchbox or serve them at your next party, potluck or make them as a snack.
This recipe makes 40 Italian Pinwheels but trust me- they will go quick! They are also made with the standard taco sized tortilla so they only require a few bites. Everyone will love these pinwheels, I promise. You will get hooked on making this recipe because there is so much deliciousness in each bite. Salami, prosciutto, provolone cheese….do I need to say anymore?
- Salami: Genoa salami is preferred. You can also use peppered Genoa salami too.
- Prosciutto: make sure it’s thinly sliced.
- Provolone cheese: compliments the Italian deli meats perfectly. You can also use Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Swiss or Cheddar.
- Flour tortillas: Corn tortillas won’t work for this recipe. I love using the “soft taco” sized tortillas, or the 7 inch tortillas.
- Cream cheese: softened and I recommend using full-fat for the most flavor. If you aren’t a fan of cream cheese, you can use hummus- try my Roasted Garlic Hummus!
- Italian seasoning: adds flavor to the spread.
- Salt + pepper: always need it!
- Pepperoncinis: adds so much flavor to the cream cheese spread and a bit of crunch.
- Roma tomato: I love these tomatoes for roll ups because they are firm and flavorful.
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN PINWHEELS
Make the cream cheese spreadMix the cream cheese, pepperoncinis and seasonings together until smooth.
Divide the cream cheese spread between the 5 tortillas. Spread the cream cheese mixture on tortillas.
Layer the ingredients on top of the cream cheese. Preferred order is salami, prosciutto, provolone cheese, tomato, and pepperoncini.
Roll the tortilla in a spiral.
Cut each tortilla roll up in half and then cut each half into 4 pieces. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
ROLL UP VARIATIONS
These little bite-sized Italian Pinwheels are so versatile. The best thing about making roll ups is you can use your favorite ingredients and it will always taste delicious. See some of the variations below for my recommendations on other ingredients you can add or replace.
Deli meats: ham, mortadella, turkey, pepperoni, Copa, soppressata, bacon.
Cheese variations: I always recommend sliced cheese versus shredded cheeses for roll up recipes so the cheese won’t fall out and it won’t be messy. Mozzarella cheese, Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar, white cheddar and pepper jack will work.
Vegetables: shredded lettuce, green leaf lettuce, butter lettuce, basil, roasted bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach.
Cream cheese spread: plain whipped cream cheese, herb cream cheese, hummus or Boursin spread would be great alternatives and will add flavor. Chopped olives or a tapanade would also be a great add-in!
Tortilla: you can swap the standard flour tortilla for a spinach herb tortilla, tomato tortilla or your favorite flatbread. You can also use a gluten-free tortilla if needed.
TIPS FOR MAKING ITALIAN PIN WHEELS
- Make sure to roll the pinwheels up tightly but gently so the tortilla doesn’t rip. If you need to seal the ends together add more cream cheese.
- Always use a sharp or serrated knife to cut the pinwheels.
- Make these pinwheels a day or two ahead! Simply roll the tortillas up in a spiral and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate them until you are ready to cut and serve them. They will last up to 2 days before you serve them and 2 days after you cut them.
- These can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free tortillas.
THESE ITALIAN PINWHEELS ARE
Perfect to bring to any potluck, party or to pack in a lunchbox. Kiddos won’t get tired of eating these delicious roll ups!
So easy to put together- all you do is layer your pinwheel ingredients, roll, cut and that’s it! You can make these 2 days before you want to serve them.
Made with classic Italian flavors and this pinwheel recipe can be modified and altered to your preference.
Pretty to look at! Not only are these bietes delicious, but they are gorgeous when served on a platter- they will catch everyones attention!
LOOKING FOR OTHER EASY and MAKE-AHEAD RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Classic Three Bean Salad
- Easy 10 Minute Clam Dip
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Healthy French Onion Dip
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
LOOKING FOR OTHER ITALIAN RECIPE IDEAS?
- Tomato Prosciutto Caprese
- Classic Italian Pasta Salad
- Italian Roasted Bell Peppers
- Baked Italian Sliders
- Baked Turkey Meatballs
- Creamy Chicken Alfredo
- Antipasto Salad
- The Best Bruschetta
- Mini Lasagna Cups
- Beef Lasagna Stuffed Shells
- Mini Cannoli Bites
- Italian Ricotta Cookies
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
- 5 "soft taco" 7 inch tortillas
- 1 Roma tomatoes; thinly sliced in half
- 25 slices salami
- 10 slices provolone cheese
- 10 slices prosciutto
- 5 pepperoncinis; thinly sliced
Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 oz. cream cheese; softened
- 1/4 cup pepperoncinis; chopped small
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese, pepperoncinis and seasonings together until smooth. A fork works well to mash everything together.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture between 5 tortillas (about 3 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture per tortilla). Lay one tortilla flat on a cutting board and spread the cream cheese mixture all the way to the edges.
- Layer the ingredients on top of the cream cheese in a line, a little off the center. Layer 5 slices of salami, 2 slices of prosciutto, 2 slices of provolone cheese, 3-4 slices of tomato, and 2-3 slices of pepperoncini.
- Tightly and gently roll the tortilla in a spiral. Press your finger to seal the tortilla ends togther. Add more cream cheese if need to seal more.
- Cut each tortilla roll up in half and then cut each half into 4 pieces. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients. Serve and enjoy!
- These make an excellent make ahead appetizer or snack!
- Leftovers will last up to 2 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.