Last Updated on May 21, 2020 by Kathryn Donangelo
These juicy Baked Turkey Zucchini Meatballs are low-carb, protein-packed and loaded with shredded zucchini, spices, and parmesan cheese!
These meatballs are perfect on top of noodles, zoodles, spaghetti squash, enjoy them with crusty bread or just as they are! These can be into a meal, served as a side dish or appetizer! I love how these Baked Turkey Zucchini Meatballs are made with 2 whole zucchinis for an extra nutritional boost and they also make these meatballs extra moist.
This recipe requires a few simple steps and take less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish!
Adding in the shredded zucchini is a great way to sneak in veggies, especially if you have picky eaters at home. If you want to add even more veggies to these meatballs, you can add 1/2 cup of chopped spinach and 1/4 cup of shredded carrots.
These meatballs are packed with protein, plenty of nutrients, naturally gluten-free, keto, and low-carb.
CAN I USE GROUND BEEF INSTEAD OF GROUND TURKEY?
Yes, absolutely! You can use ground beef, ground chicken or any other ground meat of your choice. Please note that the flavor will be slightly different depending on which meat you use.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THE BEST BAKED TURKEY ZUCCHINI MEATBALLS
- Ground turkey meat (you could also use ground beef)
- Olive oil
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt + pepper
HOW TO MAKE THESE BAKED TURKEY ZUCCHINI MEATBALLS
Add all of the ingredients (except the marinara sauce) to a large bowl and mix with your hands. This is the best way to incorporate all of the ingredients without over mixing. To form the balls, I use a mini ice cream scoop that is equivalent to about 2 tablespoons, and roll the scooped mixture with your hands to form balls.
You can make your meatballs as small or large as you want, just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until you form about 24 meatballs. You do not want to overcook the meatballs as they will loose their juiciness.
HOW TO SERVE THESE BAKED TURKEY ZUCCHINI MEATBALLS
My favorite way to enjoy these juicy meatballs is simply just how they are! You can serve them plain or coat them in marinara sauce (my favorite way). I really love how healthy, hearty, tasty and low-carb these meatballs are.
Other ways to serve these delicious meatballs are over your favorite pasta, spaghetti squash, zoodles, in between crusty bread for a delicious meatball sandwich, or with a salad for a light and low-carb meal.
If you have leftover meatballs, simply place them in an airtight container or tightly sealed ziplock bag and place them in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for up to 3 to 4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE MEATBALLS
These are perfect for freezing because they can be used for a wide variety of meals. Simply flash freeze the cooked meatballs by placing them on a baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Once the meatballs are frozen, place them in a gallon sized ziplock bag and remove as much air as you can. They will freeze well for up to 4-5 months.
HOW TO COOK FROZEN MEATBALLS
Thaw the meatballs by letting them sit out on the counter for a few hours. Once thawed out, place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree F oven for up to 10 minutes or until warmed.
MAKE THIS RECIPE INTO A TURKEY ZUCCHINI MEATLOAF
If you want to make a Turkey Meatloaf instead of Turkey Meatballs, simple add the turkey meat mixture to a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of shredded carrots in addition to the 2 whole zucchinis. Top the meatloaf with ketchup or marinara sauce and slice!
LOOKING FOR OTHER HEARTY RECIPES? TRY THESE!
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Baked Zucchini Turkey Meatballs
- Cheese grater
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 lb. ground turkey meat (you could also use ground beef)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. parsley; chopped
- 2 zucchini; shredded and drained (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups once water is removed)
- salt + black pepper to taste
- 24 ounces your favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey meat, olive oil, egg, garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, parsley, zucchini, salt and pepper. With your hand, mix all of the ingredients together until well combined. The mixture will be very moist but still hold its shape once rolled into balls.
- To form the balls, I use a mini ice cream scoop that is equivalent to about 2 tablespoons, and roll the scooped mixture with your hands to form balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until you form 24 meatballs.
- Bake the meatballs for about 20-25 minutes until browned and evenly cooked through. The meatballs will be firm. Place the meatballs in your favorite marinara sauce in a saucepan and let absorb for a few minutes. Serve on top of your favorite pasta, zoodles, spaghetti squash, or enjoy them just as they are!
- Add 1/4 tsp. of red chili flakes to the turkey meat mixture if you want to add spice!
- If you want to add even more veggies to these meatballs, you can add 1/2 cup of chopped spinach and 1/4 cup of shredded carrots.
- If you want to make a Turkey Meatloaf instead of Turkey Meatballs, simple add the turkey meat mixture to a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of shredded carrots in addition to the 2 whole zucchinis. Top the meatloaf with ketchup or marinara sauce and slice!