Last Updated on February 25, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
Cinnamon Swirl French Toast combines two of your favorite breakfast dishes into one easy recipe! Part cinnamon raisin bread, part classic French toast, this yummy breakfast recipe is ready to enjoy with lots of butter and rich syrup in just 30 minutes.
French toast has always been one of my favorite breakfast recipes! While nearly all versions have a few basics in common – like slices of bread usually soaked in an egg/milk mixture and cooked – there are so many different ways to have fun with homemade French toast. Like my Triple Berry French Toast Bake, and Pumpkin French Toast that is perfect for fall (or any time)!
This Cinnamon Swirl French Toast recipe has yummy rich flavor thanks to lots of cinnamon, plus great texture from sweet and chewy raisins. It’s an upgraded version of classic French toast that’s just as easy to make in under 30 minutes, but tastes like something really special!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CINNAMON SWIRL FRENCH TOAST
- Eggs: large, for soaking the bread.
- Milk: either whole or low fat is fine.
- Vanilla extract: to bring out the sweetness of the cinnamon swirl.
- Ground cinnamon: adds extra cinnamon goodness to the homemade French toast.
- Cinnamon swirl bread: with raisins for great flavor and texture.
- Butter: unsalted, for the griddle.
- Optional toppings: maple syrup, powdered sugar.
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON SWIRL FRENCH TOAST
- First, heat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat on the stove.
- In a bowl or pan that’s shallow but wide enough to dip the slices of bread, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Use a fork to poke a few holes across each cinnamon swirl bread slice.
- Then dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture.
- Flip! Make sure that each slice is completely coated. I suggest that you put the French toast slices on a baking sheet lined with foil until you are ready to cook. It makes it easier to work in batches and cleanup is super easy!
- Next, melt a tablespoon or so of butter in the hot skillet and cook the cinnamon swirl French toast for about 2 minutes, flip, and cook for another 1 or two minutes. Continue to flip back and forth every couple of minutes until both sides are a lovely golden brown color.
Serve right away while perfectly warm with fresh fruit, butter, maple syrup, and/or powdered sugar – or whatever goodies you like on your homemade French toast!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HOMEMADE CINNAMON SWIRL FRENCH TOAST
- Don’t skip poking the bread! This step will help the bread soak up even more of the cinnamon egg mixture and is the secret to making the best French toast!
- If you want to keep warm to enjoy a bit later, put the cinnamon swirl French toast slices on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet, and keep in the oven preheated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. They’ll keep hot and fresh this way for up to an hour!
- Easily double the recipe to make a larger batch. This is one of those classic breakfast recipes that is perfect to enjoy half now and freeze the other half for later – like my Pumpkin French Toast recipe!
Cinnamon swirl French toast is fantastic to enjoy as leftovers! Transfer cooled slices to an airtight container or wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can even easily flash freeze pieces by placing on a baking sheet in the freezer for an hour or so until hard, or simply wrap each piece individually in plastic wrap. Put all of the French toast slices together in an airtight bag and keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
For fluffy French toast leftovers, let the frozen pieces defrost overnight in the fridge. Then just bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes until hot.
LOOKING FOR OTHER EASY BREAKFAST RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (Healthy Version)
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Fluffy Vanilla Yogurt Pancakes
- Cinnamon Roll Bake
- Mini Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Oat Bread
- Easiest Homemade Pop Tarts
- Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
- The Best Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Ricotta Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
- 4 whole large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole or reduced fat milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 8 slices cinnamon swirl bread
- unsalted butter; to grease griddle
- maple syrup, powdered sugar optional; for the topping
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan on medium heat. In a shallow bowl or plate, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon until combined.
- Poke each bread slice a few times with a fork and then dip each side of the bread slice in the egg mixture. Coat until each slice is coated completely in the mixture. I like to put all of my coated bread slices on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Melt a pat of butter on the griddle or frying pan and cook French toast until each side is cooked and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per each side. Repeat until you have cooked each slice of French toast.
- Serve the french toast with butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar and fresh berries (optional).