As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Baked Gingerbread French Toast makes an easy breakfast, especially on Christmas morning that the whole family will love. Sweet, perfectly spiced, and packed with flavors of gingerbread!
Gingerbread French Toast Bake
Do you love gingerbread and need of a delicious holiday breakfast? This Gingerbread French Toast (also know as Gingerbread French Toast Casserole) is made with a few simple ingredients, a lot of spice and is so perfect to make during the holiday season.
Serve this breakfast dish on Christmas day, a Christmas brunch, on cold winter mornings, or anytime you’re craving cozy gingerbread.
The best thing about this breakfast is you don’t have to stand around the kitchen waiting to cook the French toast on the stove. You simply bake this in one baking dish and that’s it. I love how easy this recipe is and you can prep this the night before.
One of my favorite things about the holidays is all the GINGERBREAD! I love it all and even deck out my kitchen with the cutest gingerbread decorations. Some of my other favorite gingerbread recipes are my Gingerbread Men Cookies, Gingerbread Cookie Bars, Gingerbread Muffins, and Gingerbread Oatmeal.
- Sliced white bread: you can use any sliced bread. Stale bread or crusty bread will work great for this recipe as well. Use whole wheat for a healthier alternative and gluten-free bread if you want to make this gluten-free.
- Milk: whole milk is always preferred for the best texture and flavor. You can also use reduced-fat, low-fat, or almond milk.
- Eggs: whole and large eggs. This will make the egg custard mixture be extra rich and delicious.
- Molasses: adds the “gingerbread” flavor.
- Maple syrups: pure maple syrup is best.
- Vanilla extract: adds warm flavors.
- Spices: ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg are used to make the “gingerbread spice”.
- Sugar: you just need a few tablespoons to add some sweetness. You can also use honey.
- Butter: salted or unsalted.
How To Make Gingerbread French Toast
Prepare Baking Dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″ x 13″ shallow baking dish, casserole dish, or sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
Make Egg Mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, molasses, 1/4 cup of syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients are combined.
Assemble Bread. Poke each bread slice a few times with a fork and place it on the greased baking dish. I place 5 slices on the bottom layer and pour half of the gingerbread mixture on top. Cut 2 slices of bread in half so it will fit the baking dish. Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly on top. Place the other slices of bread on top and then spread with the remaining gingerbread mixture on top.
Cover and Bake. Cover pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the French toast from the oven, remove the foil and drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup of maple syrup on top. Place the French toast back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
Cool and Serve. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and enjoy!
What Is Gingerbread?
Gingerbread is a baked dessert or sweet that contains a combination of spices and is sweetened with sugar, brown sugar, molasses, or honey. Gingerbread foods vary from soft-baked cookies, bread, cakes, to crunchy gingersnaps.
How To Make Homemade Gingerbread Spice
Some of the spices used to make gingerbread are ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The ratio for each spice varies for each recipe.
How To Make Ahead (Make the Night Before)
Don’t feel like making breakfast from scratch in the morning? No problem, I’ve got you covered! You can prep this baked French toast the day or night before. Simply follow the recipe instructions step one through three. Cover the baking dish and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
When ready to bake, follow the recipe instructions.
Store any leftover French toast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. To reheat, place French toast in the microwave for a few minutes or bake in the oven at 350 degrees until warm.
You can top this Gingerbread French Toast with any of your favorite toppings. Some of my favorite toppings are:
- Butter and a drizzle of maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries and fresh fruit such as blueberries, bananas, fresh cranberries, and pomegranate arils
- Sprinkles for fun
- Orange zest for flavor
- Nuts such as chopped pecans, almonds, walnuts
- Crumbled gingerbread cookies
This Gingerbread French Toast Is
- Loaded with all the cozy and warm flavors of winter.
- The perfect holiday breakfast or Christmas brunch recipe.
- Easy to make and can be made in advance.
- Fun for both adults and kids, add gingerbread cookies or sprinkles to the top!
LOOKING FOR OTHER CHRISTMAS MORNING BREAKFAST IDEAS?
- Cinnamon Roll Bake
- Homemade Buttermilk Waffles
- Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
- Overnight Eggs Benedict
- Baked Pancakes
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
- 10 slices white bread
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 whole large eggs
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup maple syrup; divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter; melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, molasses, 1/4 cup of syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients are combined.
- Poke each bread slice a few times with a fork and place on the greased baking dish. I place 5 slices on the bottom layer and pour half of the gingerbread mixture on top. Cut 2 slices of bread in half so it will fit the baking dish. Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly on top. Place the other slices of bread on top and then spread with the remaining gingerbread mixture on top.
- Cover the French toast with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the French toast from the oven, remove the foil and drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup of maple syrup on top. Place the French toast back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and enjoy!