Last Updated on December 14, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
Baked Gingerbread French Toast makes an easy breakfast, especially on Christmas morning! It’s sweet, perfectly spiced, and packed with flavors of gingerbread!
Love gingerbread and are in need of a delicious holiday breakfast? This Gingerbread French Toast is made with a few simple ingredients, a lot of spice and is so perfect to make during the holidays!
One of the best things about this breakfast is you don’t have to stand around the kitchen waiting to cook the French toast on the stove. You simply bake this in one baking dish and that’s it. I love how easy this recipe is and you can prep this the night before.
I love gingerbread all year round, but I especially love gingerbread during the holidays. Some of my other favorite gingerbread recipes are my Gingerbread Men Cookies, Gingerbread Cookie Bars, Gingerbread Muffins, and Gingerbread Oatmeal. All of my gingerbread recipes are delicious and easy to make!
- Sliced white bread: you can use any sliced bread. Use whole wheat for a healthier alternative.
- Milk: whole milk is always preferred for the best texture and flavor. You can also use reduced-fat, low-fat, or almond milk.
- Eggs: whole and large eggs.
- Molasses: adds the “gingerbread” flavor.
- Maple syrups: pure maple syrup is best.
- Vanilla extract: adds warm flavors.
- Ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg: used to make the “gingerbread spice”.
- Sugar: you just need a few tablespoons to add some sweetness. You can also use honey.
- Butter: salted or unsalted.
HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD FRENCH TOAST
STEP TWO. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, molasses, 1/4 cup of syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients are combined.
WHAT IS GINGERBREAD?
Gingerbread is a baked dessert or sweet that contains a combination of spices and is sweetened with sugar, brown sugar, molasses, or honey. Gingerbread foods vary from soft-baked cookies, bread, cakes, to crunchy gingersnaps.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE GINGERBREAD SPICE
Some of the spices used to make gingerbread are ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The ratio for each spice varies for each recipe.
HOW TO PREP THE NIGHT BEFORE
Don’t feel like making breakfast from scratch in the morning? No problem, I’ve got you covered! You can prep this baked French toast the day or night before. Simply follow the recipe instructions step one through three. Cover the baking dish and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
When ready to bake, follow the recipe instructions.
Store any leftover French toast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. To reheat, place Frech toast in the microwave for a few minutes or bake in the oven at 350 degrees until warm.
You can top this Gingerbread French Toast with any of your favorite toppings. Some of my favorite toppings are:
- Butter and maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped cream
- Fresh fruit such as blueberries, bananas, pomegranate arils
- Sprinkles for fun
- Nuts such as chopped pecans, almonds, walnuts
- Crumbled gingerbread cookies
THIS BAKED FRENCH TOAST IS
- Loaded with all the cozy and warm flavors of winter.
- The perfect Christmas morning breakfast.
- Easy to make and can be made in advance.
- Fun for both adults and kids, add gingerbread cookies or sprinkles to the top!
LOOKING FOR OTHER CHRISTMAS MORNING BREAKFAST IDEAS?
- Cinnamon Roll Bake
- Homemade Buttermilk Waffles
- Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
- Overnight Eggs Benedict
- Baked Pancakes
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
- 10 slices white bread
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 whole large eggs
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup maple syrup; divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter; melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, molasses, 1/4 cup of syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients are combined.
- Poke each bread slice a few times with a fork and place on the greased baking dish. I place 5 slices on the bottom layer and pour half of the gingerbread mixture on top. Cut 2 slices of bread in half so it will fit the baking dish. Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly on top. Place the other slices of bread on top and then spread with the remaining gingerbread mixture on top.
- Cover the French toast with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the French toast from the oven, remove the foil and drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup of maple syrup on top. Place the French toast back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and enjoy!