French Toast Muffins
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
French Toast Muffins make an easy breakfast and is packed with the same flavors of classic french toast, just in a cute muffin form! Sprinkled with a cinnamon sugar topping that both kids and adults will go nuts for.
If you love French Toast Muffins, you’ll love these Pancake Muffins!
PIN this easy French Toast Muffins recipe to try later!
French Toast Muffins
If you’re a french toast fan like us, these french toast cups make a perfect breakfast especially if you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. Loaded with all the flavors of french toast and can be customized any way you prefer. They take minutes to put together and perfect for busy weekday mornings or lazy weekend brunches.
These muffins are made with pieces of sliced bread that are baked in a cinnamon and vanilla egg custard. They centers are soft and fluffy (similar to bread pudding) and have a slightly crispy topping from the cinnamon and sugar.
We love serving these with a drizzle of maple syrup, powdered sugar, and fresh fruit such as berries. Other french toast recipes you should try is my Cinnamon Swirl French Toast, Triple Berry French Toast Bake, Gingerbread French Toast, and Pumpkin French Toast.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You can easily double the batch: It’s always a good idea to have these handy so you can store half the batch in the freezer (see notes below on how to freeze muffins).
- Perfect for any occasion: Bake these up for a weekend brunch, grab-and-go breakfast for busy mornings, Easter brunch, Mother’s Day, showers, holiday brunch, or anytime you’re craving French toast.
- Hassle-free: This recipe takes less time to make than regular french toast and it’s made with basic ingredients. You don’t need any fancy equipment.
- Ultimate grab and go: Prepare a batch of these early in the week and you’ll have breakfast ready each morning all week. Just heat and go!
- Sliced bread: We used classic white sliced bread and slice it into 1/2 inch cubes or torn into small pieces. You can use just about any bread that you have on hand. See below for a full list.
- Eggs: We need 4 whole large eggs to make the custard and it will help bind the bread together.
- Milk: Whole milk or low-fat milk works best. Heavy cream would also work and add even more richness.
- Vanilla extract: One of the key ingredients that gives these muffins a warm flavor. If you want to add even more vanilla flavor, add vanilla beans.
- Cinnamon: My favorite ingredient! I always add more because we love cinnamon. Add more or less depending on your preference.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is used to sweetened the egg mixture. We also sprinkle sugar on top but you can also use brown sugar instead.
- Maple syrup: Adds flavor, you could also use 1/2 teaspoon of maple extract instead.
How To Make French Toast Muffins
Prepare muffin pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners or generously grease with cooking spray or melted butter.
Whisk wet ingredients together: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and maple syrup until combined.
Add bread: Fold in the cubed bread to coat and let the mixture sit for 1-2 minutes. This will help the bread absorb all of the ingredients.
Cinnamon sugar mixture: In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
Top with cinnamon sugar & bake: Divide the french toast mixture into 12 prepared muffin tins and sprinkle the top of each muffin with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the centers seem set. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy with powdered sugar or a drizzle of warm maple syrup!
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Add protein: Add a scoop of vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, or plain protein powder to the egg mixture for a protein boost.
- Healthier alternative: Sub whole wheat bread for white bread and almond milk for regular milk.
- Add-ins: Chocolate chips, raisins, pumpkin puree, chopped nuts, or fruit such as blueberries or bananas.
- Birthday breakfast: Drizzle a light glaze and add sprinkles to the tops of these muffins for a fun and colorful birthday or celebratory breakfast.
- Fix dry muffins: If your muffins came out a little dry, don’t panic! Melt butter and drizzle it on the tops of the baked muffins.
- Add streusel topping: Instead of topping the muffins with a cinnamon sugar mixture, top with a crunchy streusel.
Other Bread Options to Use
You can use just about any bread that you have on hand for this recipe. Just be sure to stay away from bread that’s too hard or too stale. You can use stale bread as long as it’s semi-soft since the egg mixture will absorb into the bread cubes, making them moist and soft.
- Cinnamon swirl bread
- Cinnamon raisin bread
- Whole wheat sliced bread
- English muffins
- Brioche bread
- French bread
- Challah bread
Leftovers & Storage
To Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container or large zip-lock bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Heat in the microwave or oven before eating to make the muffins soft and warm again.
To Freeze: Place muffins in an airtight container or ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost, place them in the refrigerator to defrost overnight or on the counter for a few hours.
Make-Ahead: Muffins are perfect for making ahead because they freeze so well. Once they are baked, cool completely, then place the muffin pan in the freezer to flash freeze for at least an hour. You can also make these at the beginning of the week and store them in the refrigerator for a quick grab-and-go breakfast.
Other Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Baked Pancakes
- Egg White Bites
- Buttermilk Waffles
- Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Roll Bake
- Sausage Hashbrown Bake
- Giant Frosted Pop Tart
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
French Toast Muffins
- 12 slices white bread crust removed and cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 whole large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup plus more to top muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with liners or generously grease with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and maple syrup until combined.
- Fold in the bread cubes to coat and let the mixture sit for 1-2 minutes. This will help the bread absorb all of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Divide the french toast mixture into 12 prepared muffin tins and sprinkle the tops with cinnamons sugar mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the centers seem set. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy with powdered sugar or a drizzle of warm maple syrup!
OMG these were so amazing! What a great idea to make a muffin our of french toast. I will be making these again for easter brunch!
These French toast muffins were a fun twist on a classic breakfast recipe. Plan on making them again for weekend brunch.
Ok what is this witchcraft you have created here! They are so good and I cannot get enough.
This delectable baked french toast was a delight to make and enjoy! Every bite bursted with the perfect combination of ingredients for an unforgettable experience.
Such a great idea, and I can’t wait to try these at Easter brunch – they are on the menu! Finger foods are always a must have 🙂
Our grandkids loved these French toast muffins! Thanks for the recipe!
This is such a fun idea! Our family loves french toast so I made these for breakfast today and they were amazing! Definitely going to be making these for brunch again soon.
I’ve been meaning to bake French toast muffins for ages, but I think I’ve been hesitant because I might like it too much! The flavors in your recipe sound incredible, and the pictures look absolutely amazing!
Wow! Such great-looking muffins! Perfect for our first meal of the day! It looks absolutely delicious and very yummy! Kids definitely will love and enjoy this!
This is such a great idea. We love our French toast! To think we can have a grab and go treat like this is awesome! Great flavor! Definitely have to give this a try!
Well done! ❤️