As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies are soft, chewy, buttery, and easy to make. Made with a sugar butter cookie base and loaded with colorful rainbow sprinkles. Perfect for any occasion or celebration!
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies make a fun and colorful dessert any time of year. Made with a handful of simple ingredients and you only need 10 minutes of chill time. Each cookie is loaded with vibrant colors and is better than the sprinkle cookies from a bakery!
I baked these special cookies for my god daughter Madelyn because she loves all things sprinkles! She lives a few hours away so I had to mail them to her. These were easy to package and ship in the mail and they still remained super soft when they arrived.
The edges of the cookie are slightly crisp with a soft, gooey, and chewy center. This cookie is perfect for sugar cookie and butter cookie lovers because they taste like a combination of the two combined.
Bake these cookies for all occasions and holidays by switching out the color of the sprinkles. This is why these cookies are perfect all year round!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Flour: Spoon and level the flour when measuring it. Be sure not to scoop it out of the bag using the measuring cup. This way, you won’t accidentally measure out too much.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Used as a leavening agent.
- Butter: I used salted butter so you don’t have to add salt but you can also use unsalted butter, just add 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the recipe. It’s best if the butter is at room temperature and slightly softened.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness.
- Eggs: You’ll need one whole large egg at room temperature.
- Vanilla and almond extract: Both add so much flavor. The almond extract brings out the sugar cookie flavor the most.
- Sprinkles: I love using a combination of colorful sprinkles to get the most color. I use both nonpareil sprinkles and jimmies, you can use your favorite kind of sprinkles! Switch the colors for different holidays and celebrations. Add extra sprinkles if you wish!
how to make Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
Mix the dry ingredients together: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
Beat butter and sugar: In a large bowl with an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Add in egg and extracts: Add in egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Continue to beat until combined.
Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients: Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix again just until dough has formed. Add 1/4 cup of sprinkles to the dough and mix again.
Chill dough: Chill the dough for 10 minutes.
Roll in sprinkles: Preheat oven the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add 1/4 cup of sprinkles to a shallow bowl. Using a mini ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoons of dough, roll cookies and roll the tops or dip in sprinkles.
Bake: Place the cookies onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or just until the edges are a very light golden brown. Let cookies cool for a 2-3 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Chocolate Sugar Cookies: Add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder to the cookie dough and top the cookies with melted chocolate or a chocolate frosting.
Chocolate chip sugar cookies: Add 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips to the cookies dough.
Lemon Sugar Cookies: Add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon zest to the cookie dough and swap the almond extract for lemon extract. You could also use fresh lemon juice.
Mini Cookies: Roll only 1 or a 1/2 tablespoon of cookie dough into sprinkles to make them mini size.
Crunchy Cookies: Bake cookies according to recipe and then reduce the heat to 300 degrees F and bake for 5 minutes longer. Be sure they don’t burn! Let the cookies cool on cooling rack right away to get crispy.
- Make these into ice cream sandwiches: Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the center of one cookie and press another cookie on top.
- Swap rainbow sprinkles for holiday themed colored sprinkles such as black and orange halloween sprinkles for Halloween cookies, red and green sprinkles for Christmas, and red and pink sprinkles for Valentine’s Day.
- Be sure not to over-mix the dough, this will prevent the cookies from being soft and tender.
- Room temperature ingredients: It’s important that your eggs and butter are at room temperature. They incorporate with the other ingredients so much better then when they are cold. This will also help your cookies stay tender and soft.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop and then roll the cookie dough into balls for the perfect cookie shape.
- If you don’t want to use sprinkles, roll the cookie dough balls into sparkling sugar instead.
leftovers & Freezing cookies
Store cookies in an airtight container on the counter of a cool area for up to 1 week.
Freezing Cookie Dough: To freeze unbaked cookie dough, wrap dough ball in plastic wrap and then place the large ball of dough in a freezer bag. Or you can place the dough in an airtight container to freeze. Thaw completely before scooping into cookie dough balls.
To Freeze Cookie Dough Balls: Freeze cookie dough balls by placing the balls of dough on a cookie sheet and flash freeze for 30 minutes or until hardened. Transfer the cookie dough balls to a large ziplock bag or airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Other easy cookie recipes
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sprinkles divided
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Continue to beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix again just until dough has formed. Add 1/4 cup of sprinkles to the dough and mix again. Chill the dough for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add 1/4 cup of sprinkles to a shallow bowl. Using a mini ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoons of dough, roll cookies and roll the tops or dip in sprinkles.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or just until the edges are a very light golden brown. Let cookies cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!