As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
These Homemade Sour Cream Funfetti Cupcakes are even better than box cake mix and are so easy to make! Moist, perfectly sweet, tender, loaded with rainbow sprinkles and topped with a swirl with a sweetened sour cream frosting. Bake these for any occasion or birthday party!
I have so much to say about Funfetti Cupcakes because I love them so much and they remind me of my childhood. The sprinkles bring the FUN in FUNFETTI. Who wouldn’t love a vanilla cupcake speckled with rainbow sprinkles?
These cupcakes are incredibly easy to make and are the perfect treat for any birthday celebration, occasion, or anytime you want to make something sweet, delicious, and colorful.
You only need a few simple kitchen staples to make these. I love how these cupcakes aren’t overly sweet and the sour cream balances out the sweetness. It adds the perfect amount of creaminess that makes these super soft and moist.
It’s time again for another fun blog hop that’s been hosted by Michaela from An Affair From the Heart. This freaky Friday round is a Spring edition and I was so happy I got to share this recipe from my friend, Erin from The Speckled Palate.
If you’re wondering how a blog hop works, each food blogger is secretly assigned to another food blogger and we select a spring-themed recipe from their blog, recreate it, photograph it, try it, and then share it with you all! I loved browsing through all of Erin’s blog because everything looked so delicious! We have very similar taste in food so it was fun going through all of her recipes and drink recipes.
Erin is also a wife and mom that loves creating easy recipes with simple and fresh ingredients. She also has a page on her blog dedicated to easy entertaining which is amazing for busy moms like us! Entertaining doesn’t have to be hard, time-consuming, or complicated thanks to Erin’s recipes and tips. If you didn’t already know, Erin is also the cookie queen and creator of the popular Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange which is a yearly virtual cookie exchange.
It was so difficult to pick just one recipe from her blog but I love all things Funfetti so it had to make these cupcakes. I was tempted to also make her Funfetti Cookies and Funffeti Ice Cream Sandwiches, yummm! I have a list of recipes I want to make from her blog like these Cinnamon Roll Pancakes, French Onion Bruschetta, Lemon Zucchini Bread, and Honey Butter Biscuits. Be sure to check them all out!
See all of our 2022 Freaky Friday Spring Edition Recipes
Hosted by – An Affair from the Heart
- An Affair from the Heart – Blueberry Lemon Pull-Apart Bread
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Baked Asparagus with Parmesan
- The Carefree Kitchen – Carrot Cake
- The Culinary Compass – Dunkaroo Dip Recipe
- Devour Dinner –Fruit Charcuterie Board
- Family Around the Table – Fresh Strawberry Milkshake
- Feast + West – Frozen Grasshopper Martini
- Home Cooked Harvest – Rocky Road Brownies
- Hostess at Heart – Honey Bun Cake
- Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog -Homemade Sour Cream Funfetti Cupcakes
- Off the Eaten Path – Beer Margarita Recipe
- The Speckled Palate – Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Bourbon and Walnuts
- Sue Bee Homemaker – No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Take Two Tapas – Crab Dip
- The Wimpy Vegetarian – Texas Trash Dip Warm Bean Dip
Flour: all-purpose flour or you could use whole wheat if you wanted to make these cupcakes on the healthier side.
Sugar: granulated sugar to add sweetness.
Baking powder + baking soda: makes these cupcakes rise and get puffy.
Salt: just a pinch to balance out the sweetness.
Sour Cream: balances out the sweetness. and makes these cupcakes super soft and moist.
Vanilla extract: enhances all of the flavors. Pure vanilla extract is always recommended when baking.
Eggs: adds richness and helps bind the ingredients together.
Milk: whole or low-fat milk can be used.
Sprinkles: the best part! I recommend using rainbow jimmies as opposed to the nonpareils because the color can come smear off in the batter.
HOW TO MAKE FUNFETTI CUPCAKES
THESE FUNFETTI CUPCAKES ARE
- Tender, moist, and so fluffy.
- Not too sweet thanks to the sour cream.
- so much better than box cake mix and is just as easy to make.
- Perfect for a birthday celebration, classroom parties, showers, graduation parties, or any occasion!
RECIPE TIPS & VARIATIONS
Make ahead: if you want to make these cupcakes ahead of time you can. Bake the cupcakes according to the recipe and let cool completely. Place them in an airtight container or large heavy-duty ziplock bag. Freeze for up to 3 weeks. You could also refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Sprinkles: you can add any color sprinkles for different holidays and occasions. Add red and green sprinkles for Christmas, black and orange sprinkles for Halloween.
Mini Cupcakes: make these into miniature cupcakes by baking them in a mini cupcake pan. Adjust the baking time to 15-20 minutes.
Frosting: you can use any of your favorite frostings for these cupcakes. Some of my favorites are Buttercream, Chocolate, or Strawberry!
LEFTOVERS AND STORAGE
Since the cupcakes have sour cream in the batter and in the frosting, you will need to store them in the refrigerator. Cupcakes tend to dry out when they are chilled, so be sure to place them in an airtight container so they are sealed.
Store for up to 4-5 days and let them sit out for at least 5 minutes to come to room temperature before eating for the best flavor and texture.
I don’t recommend freezing cupcakes with the frosting, however, you can freeze the baked cupcakes without the frosting for up to 3 months. When ready to frost, you can frost them frozen or you can let them thaw. Just be sure they are completely thawed before serving.
OTHER FUNFETTI RECIPES
- Funfetti Dip
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Dunkaroo Funfetti Cheesecake Bites
- Frosted Funfetti Cookie Bars
CAN’T GET ENOUGH
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles (jimmies)
Sour Cream Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sour cream, butter, and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs and the vanilla extract, and mix until combined.
- Slowly pour in the milk, and gently stir into the other wet ingredients until smooth.
- In another mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Fold the rainbow sprinkles into the batter- be sure not to overmix.
- Fill the batter into the prepared cupcake liners ¾ of the way full. Bake the cupcakes for 22-28 minutes, or until the tops are light golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Sour Cream Frosting
- In a medium mixing bowl, add sour cream, powdered, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Use an electric hand mixing and whip until combined- a few minutes. The frosting should be smooth and shiny.
- Frost the cupcakes when they are cool and top with more rainbow sprinkles.