Last Updated on April 14, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
There is no dessert more classic than a perfectly sweet and satisfying chocolate chip cookie. This easy recipe makes the best thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies every time, with no need to chill the dough before baking! They are perfect to enjoy anytime of the day with a big glass of cold milk or hot cup of coffee!
THICK AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
One bite and you’ll be a firm believer that this is hands-down the BEST recipe for thick, chewy, unbelievably delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies.
These yummy classic cookies are super easy to make, and you don’t even need to chill the dough first. Just combine a handful of pantry staples, scoop, and bake – and BAM! In no time you’ll be enjoying the thickest and chewiest cookies with sweet chocolate chips ever.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE
- Bread flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Milk chocolate chips
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
While there are no secret ingredients needed to make thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies, it is key that your butter and eggs be nice and cold to make the dough. Using cold ingredients will help keep the cookies from spreading when they bake, and so is essential to make the thickest cookies possible.
HOW TO MAKE THICK AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIPS COOKIES FROM SCRATCH
1. First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Then in a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In another large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer, beat together the cold, cubed butter and sugars. This mixture should be nice and fluffy, and slightly pale in color. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
3. With the mixer on low-medium speed, slowly blend in the dry flour mixture to form the dough. Add the chocolate chips and combine until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
4. Use an ice cream scoop, cookie scoop, or two tablespoons to measure out approximately 1/4 cup of dough into your hands, and roll into a ball. You might want to butter or lightly spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray beforehand to keep the dough from sticking to your hands. Place the dough balls on the baking sheets, about 1-2 inches apart.
5. Bake the thick and chewy chocolate chips cookies for 13-14 minutes in the preheated oven. When done they should be lightly golden brown with firm edges.
Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, and let cool slightly before enjoying!
They are delicious to dunk in a big glass of cold milk, or a giant mug of hot coffee or cocoa. Serve as dessert or a snack or even enjoy for breakfast – anytime is a great time to eat a perfect chocolate chip cookie!
POSSIBLE OTHER ADD-INS FOR THIS EASY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
I love to include a blend of milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips in my cookies. But feel free to swap out one or the other – or both! – with additional sweet goodies, like:
- Dark chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- White chocolate chips
- Mini M&Ms
- Chopped walnuts
- Dried cherries
Or any scrumptious extra sweets you like!
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE THICK AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Once the cookies have cooled completely, transfer them to a sealed storage box or bag. Keep them at room temperature for up to a week.
Scratch-made chocolate chip cookies also freeze well! For the freshest taste, wrap each cooled cookie individually in plastic wrap first. Then put all of the wrapped cookies together in an airtight plastic bag, and keep in the freezer for up to one month.
LOOKING FOR OTHER CLASSIC DESSERT RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Easy Lemon Pie
- Lucky Charms Rice Krispies Treats
- Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- The Best One Bowl Brownies
- Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Best Ever Mini Cheesecake Bites
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter; chilled and cubed
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar; packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole large eggs; chilled
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocoalte chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (you could also use an electric mixer), beat the cold butter and sugars together until pale and fluffy- about 1 minute. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix on low-speed until the mixture forms a dough, then add in the chocolate chips.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and measure 1/4 cup of cookie dough and roll into a ball. Place each cookie dough ball on the cookie sheet and place them 1 1/2- 2 inches apart. You may have to bake these in separate batches.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes just until the cookie edges have are a light golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!