Last Updated on October 11, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
These easy cheesy broccoli bites are crispy on the outside and gooey in the inside. This makes a great after school snack or appetizer that even the kids will love!
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR BITES
If you are looking for an after school snack for your kiddos or a tasty cheesy appetizer, you have come to the right place on the internet. These cheesy broccoli bites are filled with 3 different types of cheese and they couldn’t be any cheesier. These have a hint of spice with the red pepper flakes.
Mix until it looks like this!
Can I use other cheese instead of Cheddar, Jack and American?
Yes, you totally can but I think the combination of these 3 cheeses work the best. Especially cheddar cheese because it pairs so well with broccoli.
Can I bake these instead of cooking them in oil?
I would’t suggest it because these bites wouldn’t be crispy on the outside.
Can I make these bites in advance to save time?
Heck yes you can! You can definitely make them as far as coating them in Panko and they can stay refrigerated before frying for a day.
There is just something about broccoli and cheese. When they get together they make a perfect combination. If you love this combination as much as I do, check out my other cheesy broccoli recipes. Skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup is perfect for fall, it’s also skinny 😉 These Broccoli Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes are good for any occasion because cheesy potatoes is always a good idea.
MORE BROCCOLI CHEDDAR RECIPES TO TRY:
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES TO TRY:
- Easy Macaroni and Cheese
- Easy Corn Fritters
- Creamy Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Fluffy Dinner Rolls
- Cheesy Vegetable Bake
- Sweet and Moist Cornbread
- Loaded Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Cheesy Broccoli Bites
- 2 cups cooked broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup American cheese; cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup Pankco crumbs
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
For the coating
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups Panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
To make the bites
- Steam broccoli until slightly softened. Let cool.
- Finely chop the broccoli so they are about a 1/4 inch or less . Place in a large bowl and add the cheeses, egg, Panko crumbs, chili flakes and salt. Stir well or mix with your hands.
- Use your hands or a mini ice cream to form a ball. Place all of the broccoli bites in the refrigerator to firm up for about 30-45 minutes.
To coat the bites
- Add the eggs to a bowl and whisk until lightly beaten, add the flour to a second bowl and the Panko crumbs to a third bowl.
- Coast each ball in flour first, then the egg mixture and lastly the Panko crumbs.
To fry the bites
- Pour about 1 inch of canola oil in a heavy pot or frying pan. Heat oil to 375 degrees. For best results use a thermometer.
- Place the balls into the heavy pot or frying pan and cook until golden brown on all sides. About 3 minutes on each side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and let cool for a few minutes. It is best when eaten within the hour of making them so the cheese remains gooey and cheesy.
These are as delicious as they look. I made mine in the air fryer – they were crispy and delicious. I had to work with some of the balls to get them to say together – I chopped up the stems as well and made myself a note to chop those extra fine. I’ll definitely be making these again.
Kathryn Donangelo says
What a great idea to cook these broccoli cheese bites in the air fryer! I’m so glad you loved the recipe, thank you for trying it!