Last Updated on November 11, 2020 by Kathryn Donangelo
This is the best Sweet and Moist Cornbread you could bake from scratch! The center is fluffy, moist, sweet, and has perfectly golden brown edges!
BETTER THAN MARIE CALLENDER’S CORNBREAD
Cornbread has always been a favorite side of mine! My favorite cornbread used to always be from Marie Callender’s or I would use the mix since the location closed in my hometown. I’m proud and excited to say this cornbread is better than Marie Callender’s! It’s also is super easy to mix (probably just as easy as the pre-made mixes).
HOW TO MAKE CORNBREAD
There are only 10 easy ingredients in this recipe and it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. This recipe also requires no buttermilk! You can find ALL of these ingredients in your pantry and fridge. Whisk together the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients and the add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until you get a thick cornbread batter (slightly thicker than a cake batter) that has minimal lumps. Bake for 35-40 minutes and that’s it!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS SWEET AND MOIST CORNBREAD
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
We love cornbread in our house! We love cornbread as side, snack, breakfast, dessert, you name it. If you love dessert- try adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the top while the cornbread is still warm or heat up- so good! There is always time for cornbread and it goes with pretty much any meal. Try pairing it with my delicious Crock-pot Whole Chicken dinner recipe!
WHAT CAN I ADD TO THIS SWEET AND MOIST CORNBREAD RECIPE?
There are so many different options when it comes to adding to this cornbread. My personal favorite way to enjoy this is with a pat of butter and drizzle of melted butter. You can however make this cornbread on the savory side and add some other favorites below.
- Jalapeños: diced or pickled jalapeños will work for this recipe. Simply add the jalapeños to the batter and they will add some spice to this cornbread!
- Shredded cheese: if you want to make this a bit cheesy, add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack.
- More corn: add a can of whole corn (make sure to drain the corn). You can also use frozen corn too! This will give the cornbread texture and there will be chunks of corn in every bite.
- Bacon: everything tastes better with bacon! Add chopped cooked bacon for a smokey and meaty flavor.
Properly store your leftover cornbread by placing it in a large zip-lock bag or cover the baking dish with plastic wrap. Store on a cool area on the counter for up to 3-4 days. To reheat simply place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
HOW TO FREEZE CORNBREAD
You can double the batch so you have leftovers for another time! To freeze, wrap the cornbread into individual large squares so you can eat as many as you want at a time. Wrap the squares in plastic wrap and place in a large zip-lock bag. When ready to eat, let the cornbread thaw out for a few hours and reheat in the microwave.
LOOKING FOR OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Loaded Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Sweet & Moist Cornbread
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter; melted
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup milk; whole milk is best
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. honey; melted
- serve with butter and honey; optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the melted butter, oil, milk, eggs and honey until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until all of the ingredients are mixed together.
- Add the cornbread batter to a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown. To be sure the cornbread is baked, insert a toothpick in the center and make sure it comes out clean, not wet.
- Let the cornbread cool for 15-30 minutes before slicing. Slice into 12 large squares or you can also cut into smaller squares! Serve with butter and honey, enjoy!
- Please note if you use a glass baking dish the edges will get a little more brown.