As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats are made with soft gooey marshmallows, Funfetti cake mix, and topped with white chocolate and sprinkles. These treats are easy to make and perfect to serve for a birthday or party!
If you love these easy treats, be sure to try my Birthday Cake Cookies!
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
These Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats aka Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats are filled with birthday cake flavor, lots of colorful sprinkles, and are so easy to make. Once you make these, you’ll be requesting this dessert for your next birthday celebration.
Soft and gooey marshmallows get melted together with cake batter flavor from the cake mix, then topped with melted white chocolate for the perfect layer of sweetness.
You only need a few minutes to make these and then they sit out to harden for a little bit. These rice krispie treats are perfect to make a day ahead if you are needing them for a party, plus they make a ton.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They taste like birthday cake in a rice krispie treat form- thanks to the funfetti cake mix, almond extract, sprinkles, and white chocolate!
- They are perfect for birthday parties, celebrations, school lunch box treats, classroom parties, and just about any occasion.
- The marshmallow and rice krispie cereal ratio is perfect- making these treats super gooey.
- These aren’t like your typical rice krispie treats, they are extra thick and topped with melted white chocolate and more sprinkles.
- Rice Krispies or crispy rice cereal: The main ingredient and base of this recipe. Any rice krispie brand will work.
- Mini marshmallows: You’ll need 6 cups of mini marshmallows to make these extra gooey. They will melt and bind the other ingredients together. Mini marshmallows works best for this recipe as opposed to the large size.
- Butter: I use salted butter to cut balance the sweetness a bit.
- Vanilla extract & almond extract: Enhances the flavors and adds the signature “birthday cake flavor”.
- Cake mix: We use Funfetti cake mix in these treats to add more “birthday cake flavor”. You can also use plain white or yellow cake mix.
- Sprinkles: I love rainbow sprinkles but feel free to use any type of sprinkles! You can use any color, shape, or size sprinkle for these.
How To Make Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare square pan: Line a 9×9 inch square pan with foil or parchment paper and grease with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Make marshmallow mixture: Bring a large pot or stock pot to medium-low heat. Add butter and melt. Add the 5 cups of marshmallows and stir until melted, then add vanilla extract, almond extract, and cake mix. Stir again until the ingredients are completely combined and melted together.
- Add in cereal: Remove the pot from heat and stir in the rice krispie cereal until the marshmallow mixture completely coats the cereal. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows until evenly distributed.
- Place in square pan: Add the cereal mixture to the prepared 9×9 inch pan and gently press the mixture into the pan. Make sure you don’t press too hard otherwise your treats will be too dense and hard.
- Melt chocolate: In a microwavable safe bowl, melt the white chocolate and coconut oil together in 30 second intervals until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Frost treats and add sprinkles: Pour the melted chocolate on top of the rice krispie treats and spread out evenly with a spatula or spoon. Top with sprinkles and let sit for 30-60 minutes. Slice into 16 squares and enjoy!
Recipe Variations & Add-Inns
Topping Ideas: Instead of white chocolate you can use frosting (canned or homemade). Buttercream, vanilla, cream cheese, or any of your favorite flavors. Lemon, strawberry, or chocolate would be delicious also.
Swap the sprinkle colors: Instead of using Funfetti cake mix, use white cake mix and add your own sprinkles to make themed treats. Use red and green sprinkles for Christmas, or pastel colored sprinkles for Easter.
Alternative cereal: You can use are chocolate rice krispie cereal, Fruity Pebbles, Golden Grahams, Cheerios, or Chex cereal.
Add-Ins: M&Ms, crushed Oreos, chopped nuts, pretzels, chocolate chips, or any other of your favorites for added crunch, texture, and flavor.
Spray your hands or rubber spatula: Use either cooking spray or rub them with butter before you press the rice krispie mixture on into your dish. This will prevent your hands from sticking to the sticky mixture. You can also use a butter wrap to press the mixture.
Marshmallow tips: Be sure to use melt the marshmallows on LOW heat to insure they stay soft and will make the treats fluffy. Only use fresh marshmallows- stale marshmallows won’t make these treats as gooey.
Treat size: I use a 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan because I love the thicker sized treats, but you can also use a 13×9 inch pan to yield 20-24 treats.
Brown the butter: If you’ve ever had Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats, you already know how amazing they are. Follow the steps in this recipe to brown the butter first before adding the marshmallows. This will add a rich, caramel, nuttiness flavor to your treats.
Leftovers & Storage
To-store on counter: Place leftovers in an airtight container or cover a plate tightly with plastic wrap. Store in a cool room temperature area for up to 4-5 days. They may start to taste stale and harden after. You can also store in a large ziplock bag.
To-store in fridge: These treats will last a bit longer if you store them in the refrigerator but I don’t recommend it because they will dry out and become hard. They will store well for up to 1 week. Be sure to let sit out for at least 30 minutes to soften.
Other Funfetti Desserts
- Funfetti Cookies
- Dunkaroo Funfetti Dip
- Funfetti Cookie Bars
- Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- Birthday Cake Cheesecake
- Funfetti Cheesecake Bites
Other No-Bake Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Stuffed Pretzels
- Chocolate Peppermint Grahams
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Bars
- Oreo Cookie Truffles
- Mummy Rice Krispies Treats
- Lucky Charms Rice Krispie Treats
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal or any crispy rice cereal
- 6 tablespoons butter salted
- 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup Funfetti cake mix
- 6 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- sprinkles to top the treats
- Line a 9×9 inch pan with foil or parchment paper and grease with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot or stock pot to low heat. Add butter and melt. Add the 5 cups of marshmallows and stir until melted, then add vanilla extract, almond extract, and cake mix. Stir again until the ingredients are completely combined and melted together.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the rice krispie cereal until the marshmallow mixture completely coats the cereal. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows until evenly distributed.
- Add the mixture to the prepared 9×9 inch pan and gently press the mixture into the pan. Make sure you don't press too hard otherwise your treats will be too dense and hard.
- In a microwavable safe bowl, melt the white chocolate and coconut oil together in 30 second intervals until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate on top of the rice krispie treats and spread out evenly with a spatula or spoon. Top with sprinkles and let sit for 30-60 minutes. Slice into 16 squares and enjoy!