Last Updated on October 7, 2022 by Kathryn Donangelo
Witch Hat Cupcakes are adorable, easy, and made with only 5 simple ingredients! They make the perfect Halloween treats and your kids can easily help assemble them!
Witch Hat Cupcakes
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and it’s all about the treats, am I right?! These cute Witch Hat Cupcakes are a great way to get in the Halloween spirit and they make an easy treat. Made with chocolate cupcakes and topped with an edible witch hat made with fudge striped cookies and Hershey’s chocolate kisses.
I love making festive themed treats for the holidays and I especially love these witch hat halloween cupcakes because they take minutes to put together once your cupcakes are baked. They will be a huge hit wherever you take them and can be easily customized by using your favorite cupcake and frosting flavors.
These adorable cupcakes are perfect for Halloween parties, classroom treats, dessert, and kids will LOVE helping you put these together. Let them add the witch hat and sprinkles for fun!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- So easy to make: You can make your cupcakes and frosting from scratch but we use box mix and canned frosting to make these extra easy. It only takes minutes to assemble the witch hats.
- Portable: These cupcakes can easily be transferred if you are bringing them to a party, classroom, work or any other occasion. Place cupcakes in an airtight container or cupcake carrying tray to bring them anywhere.
- Fun and festive: The witch hats on top of these cupcakes make these so adorable, fun, and festive. Who wouldn’t love a festive treat on Halloween?
- Spooky treat: I love how these can be both spooky and adorable at the same time.
- Cupcakes: You can use your favorite cupcake recipe whether it’s from a box or you make your own from scratch. I use chocolate cupcakes for these witches but you can also use vanilla cupcakes.
- Frosting: Any type of white frosting. I used canned vanilla frosting but you can make your own from scratch. Other flavors are vanilla buttercream frosting, cream cheese frosting, or Swiss meringue frosting.
- Fudge Stripped cookies: These are used to make the brim of the witches’ hats but you can’t find these your grocery store, you can use Oreos cookies instead.
- Hershey’s kisses: These are used to make the top of the hats. You can use any flavor of chocolate kisses or you can use black candy melts since they have a similar shape.
- Halloween sprinkles: This is optional to add some more color and fun to the tops of each cupcake.
How To Make Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Prepare the cupcakes. Prepare cupcakes according to box directions and bake. Let them cool completely for at least 30 minutes.
- Color the frosting. Divide the frosting into 3 small bowls and add a few drops of each food coloring to each. Stir until combined to make blue, purple, and green frosting.
- Pipe the frosting with a piping bag, pastry bag, or plastic bag in a swirl motion on top of the cupcakes. You want to have a few layers of frosting. You can also use a spoon to add a dollop of frosting to the tops.
- Assemble witch hat topper. Add a fudge stripped cookie to the center of the cupcake with the chocolate stripped facing dow. Dab a thick circle of frosting on the bottom of each Hershey’s chocolate kiss and place it on top of the hole in the cookie. Top with sprinkles, repeat, and enjoy!
Witch Hat Cupcake Recipe Variations
Use a sugar cones to make extra tall witch hats. Coat the rims of the cones with frosting, place on top of the cookie, and top with sprinkles.
You can make your cupcakes any way you wish. It’s always easier to use box cake mix but homemade cupcakes from scratch are always delicious. I like to use chocolate cake mix to get a dark look but white, yellow, funfetti, and devil’s food cake, and brownies will also work.
Change up the cupcake liners. You can use any color of cupcake liners. They have adorable Halloween themed cupcake liners that would be perfect.
Witch Hat Brownies. You can also use brownies instead of cupcakes. Cut brownies into squares as the base and decorate as you normally would for the cupcakes.
If you want to make these cupcakes ahead of time you can. Bake according to the recipe and let cool completely. Place them in an airtight container or large heavy-duty ziplock bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. You could also refrigerate for up to 5 days. Frost when ready to serve.
Most cupcake recipes yield 24, but I like to fill the cupcake liners almost to the top with batter to ensure the cupcakes can rise and get extra puffy on top. When I do this method, it usually yields about 16 cupcakes. You may need to add an additional minute or two to the baking time.
If you use canned frosting, I recommend letting the frosting chill after you color it for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before piping onto cupcakes. This will make the frosting easier to pipe and swirl when it’s a little more firm.
Leftovers & Storage
To-store: Place leftover cupcakes in an airtight container or wrap the dish or platter with plastic wrap. Store in a cool area for up to 5 days.
To-freeze: You can freeze baked cupcakes that haven’t been decorated for up to 3 months. Place cooled unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container or heavy-duty ziplock bags. When ready to frost, you can frost them frozen or you can let them thaw. Just be sure they are completely thawed before decorating.
Other Halloween Treats To Make
- Mummy Rice Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Halloween Candy Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Halloween Candy Bark
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats
- Easy Ghost Brownies
- Halloween Mummy Dogs
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
Can’t Get Enough
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on social media: Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out and leave a star rating in the recipe card! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Halloween Witch Hat Cupcakes
- 16 unfrosted chocolate cupcakes
- 1 can white frosting
- 16 fudge stripped cookies
- 16 Hersheys kisses
- sprinkles optional
- purple, green, and blue food coloring gel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in 24 regular-size muffin cups. Prepare cupcakes according to box directions and bake. Let them cool completely for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the frosting into 3 small bowls and add a few drops of each food coloring to each. Stir until combined to make blue, purple, and green frosting.
- Pipe the frosting in a swirl motion on top of the cupcakes. You want to have a few layers of frosting. You can also use a spoon to add a dollop of frosting to the tops.
- Add a fudge stripped cookie to the center of each cupcake with the chocolate stripped facing dow. Dab frosting on the bottom of each Hersheys chocolate kiss and place it on top of the hole in the cookie. Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
- Place leftover cupcakes in an airtight container or wrap the dish or platter with plastic wrap. Store in a cool area for up to 5 days.