Last Updated on January 14, 2022 by Kathryn Donangelo
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken is easy to make, better than the restaurant version and is healthier. Serve with veggies and cauliflower rice for a lightened up dinner that everyone will love!
One of my favorite meals is Terriyaki Chicken whether it’s made at home or a restaurant. I especially love this recipe because it’s a healthier version (made with no sugar) so you don’t have to feel guilty. Also, it only requires 5 minutes of prep time!
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken is so satisfying you won’t even know it’s healthy. The chicken is slow-cooked with soy sauce, chicken broth, garlic, honey, and ginger. All of the flavors melt together and make a hearty and delicious go-to meal.
If you love chicken teriyaki, be sure to try my Chicken Teriyaki Bowls that have similar flavors and take 20 minutes to make.
I love slow cookers because they’ve made the most delicious and easiest meals. Some other favorite slow cooker recipes are Chicken and Potatoes, Split Pea Soup, Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Whole Lemon Rosemary Chicken, and Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs.
Chicken breast: you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
Soy sauce and chicken broth: use reduced sodium so you can control the salt. These are the main ingredients of the teriyaki sauce and will add tons of flavor to the chicken.
Garlic: fresh is best.
Ginger: you could use either fresh or ground ginger.
Honey: used to sweeten the teriyaki sauce naturally. It’s best if the honey is melted so it incorporates better with the other ingredients.
White rice vinegar: this will add a neutral flavor and balance the sweetness.
Water + corn starch: used to make the ‘slurry’ and will thicken the teriyaki sauce.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER TERIYAKI CHICKEN
STEP ONE. Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker.
STEP TWO. In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, chicken broth, rice vinegar, honey, garlic, and ginger. Pour the mixture on top of the chicken breasts. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 2-3 hours. Skim any excess fat from the teriyaki sauce.
STEP THREE. In a small bowl, whisk together warm water and corn starch to make the slurry mixture. Whisk until the corn starch dissolves and is no longer lumpy. Carefully remove the chicken from slow cooker and stir in the slurry mixture.
STEP FOUR. Add the chicken back to the teriyaki sauce and let cook for another 10-15 minutes just to thicken. Slice or shred the chicken, garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green oions (optional).Serve with rice and veggies if desired and enjoy!
Slow cookers make life so much easier. The prep time is so minimal and effortless you can have the busiest day and still have time to make this meal. Sweet and savory teriyaki sauce takes this chicken to the next level.
Serve this teriyaki chicken with some of my other japanese and chinese favorites:
- Baked Crab Rangoons
- Shrimp Fried Rice
- P.F Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Tuna Poke
- Shrimp Spring Rolls
- Homemade California Roll
- Shrimp Soba Noodle Salad
THIS SLOW COOKER TERIYAKI CHICKEN IS
- Slowly cooked in a crockpot so it’s automatically going to be super tender and flavorful.
- Made with a healthier teriyaki sauce that has no added sugar and is sweetened with honey.
- Best when served over rice (cauliflower rice, brown rice, or white rice). The teriyaki sauce absorbs into the rice making each bite extra flavorful.
- A one-pot wonder! All you do is add the ingredients, let the slow cooker do its work and you can forget about it until you’re ready! You do have to make a slurry to thicken the sauce but that only takes a few minutes!
RECIPE TIPS & VARIATIONS
- Instead of slicing the chicken into strips, shred the chicken with two forks to make shredded teriyaki chicken.
- Serve with white rice, brown rice, quinoa, salad, steamed veggies, or our favorite, cauliflower rice. If you want something extra hearty, add this chicken to a sandwich roll.
- Add teriyaki chicken to a salad to make a Teriyaki Chicken Salad.
- Double or triple the recipe if you want to feed a crowd.
- Add any veggies to the teriyaki chicken 20 minutes before serving. Be sure the veggies don’t overcook otherwise they will be soggy. Some veggie ideas to add are broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, bell peppers, snap peas, onions, and asparagus.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, microwave or stove until warmed.
To freeze cooked leftovers, place in a large ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter for a few hours. Reheat in the microwave or stove and enjoy.
Welcome to our #NationalSlowCookerMonth Celebration!
January is National Slow Cooker Month and this week we are celebrating all things slow cooker! We have delicious recipes from across the country to fill your meal plans with delicious slow cooker recipes!
- Slow Cooker Taco Noodle Soup from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Sago Kheerfrom Magical Ingredients
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Fajitas from Blogghetti
- Overnight, Slow Cooker Eggnog Cranberry Steel-Cut Oatmeal from The Spiffy Cookie
- Slow Cooker Brazilian Feijoada from Palatable Pastime
- Italian Sausage Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Crockpot Ranch Chicken from The Fresh Cooky
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Country Style Ribs from Life Love and Good Food
- Hot Creamy Sausage Dip from Devour Dinner
- Beef Tips from Art of Natural Living
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. white rice vinegar
- 6 Tbsp. honey; melted
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 tsp. fresh or ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- sesame seeds; optional for garnish on top
- sliced green onions; optional for garnish on top
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, chicken broth, rice vinegar, honey, garlic, and ginger. Pour the mixture on top of the chicken breasts. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 2-3 hours. Skim any excess fat from the teriyaki sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together warm water and corn starch to make the slurry mixture. Whisk until the corn starch dissolves and is no longer lumpy. Carefully remove the chicken from slow cooker and stir in the slurry mixture.
- Add the chicken back to the teriyaki sauce and let cook for another 10-15 minutes just to thicken. Once cooked, slice or shred the chicken and add it back to the teriyaki sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions (optional). Serve with rice and veggies if desired and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, microwave or stove until warmed.
- Freeze cooked leftovers, place in a large ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter for a few hours. Reheat in the microwave or stove and enjoy.