Last Updated on November 29, 2020 by Kathryn Donangelo
This Cauliflower Mac and Cheese will satisfy all of your mac and cheese cravings! Roasted cauliflower is coated in a cheesy sauce and is simply the best!
This is the Best Cauliflower Mac and Cheese you can make. I have tested several different recipes and this is still by far my favorite. Totally satisfying, keto-friendly, low carb, and easy to make.
This low carb side dish is on repeat at our house- we just can’t get enough. I love how cauliflower is a versatile vegetable and can be used in numerous recipes. Cauliflower has been trending for years since it’s low carb, nutritious, and satisfies carb cravings.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THE BEST CAULIFLOWER MAC AND CHEESE
- Olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Gruyere cheese
This cheese sauce is my favorite and can eat it with just about any vegetable! It’s rich, thick, and has the comforting flavors of mac and cheese. This sauce is made with heavy cream, cream cheese, a combination of my favorite cheeses, and a few spices.
You can make this dish in about 30 minutes with only a few easy and simple steps. I like to wait until the cauliflower florets are done roasting before I make the cheese sauce so the cheese sauce doesn’t harden and only takes a few minutes.
MAKING THE CHEESE SAUCE
This is my favorite part! You can use your favorite cheese combinations as long as it equals 2 1/2 cups total. This cheese sauce is straightforward to make. Whisk together the heavy whipping cream and cream cheese (make sure to cut into pieces so it melts faster) in a saucepan until combined. Add in the rest of the ingredients and vigorously whisk until combined and cheese is smooth. Once the sauce is melted, remove from heat immediately.
It is important to keep an eye on the cheese sauce because you don’t want to over cook it otherwise it will turn into a solid. All stovetops vary so this cheese sauce may cook a little quicker or slower depending on your stove.
ROASTING THE CAULIFLOWER
I prefer to have my cauliflower cut into smaller pieces so they are tender. I also love a few crispy pieces so I cut some into even smaller pieces. You can cut your cauliflower into bigger pieces if you prefer but you will have to roast them for a little longer.
LOOKING FOR OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Loaded Cheesy Twice Baked Potato Bake
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
- Herb-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
The Best Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small bite size pieces (think the size of gnocchi).
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese; cut into small cubes or pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 tsp. paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet coated with foil or parchment paper. Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper on the cauliflower pieces and coat well. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cauliflower pieces or softened. Some pieces will be darker in color.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, in a large pot on low heat add the heavy cream and the cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese is melted. Add the remaining cheeses and continue to stir until all cheeses are melted. Add the spices to the sauce and incorporate- this process is quick and will take a few minutes. Once the cheesy mixture is smooth and comes to a simmer, REMOVE FROM HEAT and vigorously whisk.
- Add the roasted cauliflower pieces and stir until all of the cauliflower pieces are coated. Serve immediately and enjoy! Sprinkle paprika on top if you want some extra spice!
- You can use any cheese combination that you prefer. Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere are my favorites for this recipe. Make sure to use a total of 2 1/2 cups total.
- It is important to keep an eye on the cheese sauce because you don't want to over cook it otherwise it will turn into a solid.