As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Homemade sushi is made easy at home! This classic California Roll is rolled with crab, cucumbers, avocado and brown rice to make it healthier!
HOMEMADE CALIFORNIA ROLLS
I could eat sushi pretty much everyday. We are basically regulars at our favorite sushi restaurant (Saporos) and thought it was time to make my own! I am so glad I rediscovered my sushi rolling mat I bought off Amazon a while ago. Sushi is SO easy to make at home and fun too! I am always thinking about new rolls to make at home and my favorite fillings are crab, shrimp, smoked salmon, tuna, cucumbers, and avocado- listed in no particular order.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS HOMEMADE CALIFORNIA ROLL
Jasmin Rice or Short Grain Rice
White wine vinegar
Check out this Veggie Roll I recently made with brown rice, you can find the video on my Insta HERE!
I have experimented between white rice, brown rice and quinoa for the ‘starch’ part. White rice is still my favorite when making homemade sushi. The brown rice in this recipe is great for a healthy alternative and for an extra fiber boost.
The flavor in your rice makes a huge difference..it’s important to add vinegar when flavoring the rice. If you are in a hurry and don’t have time to use the sushi rolling mat, simply cut the seaweed sheet in half and make a hand-roll! Another lesson I learned was make sure your knife is sharp when cutting your rolls. This will help tremendously so you can be sure to get perfect looking pieces .
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CALIFORNIA ROLL
- Make sure your knife is extremely sharp when cutting your sushi roll
- Season your rice well- it will make ALL of the difference
- Don’t add too many ingredients inside your roll, otherwise it will be too big to roll and cut
- Make sure to wet your hands when pressing the rice on the seaweed to prevent stickiness!
We sometimes do take-out sushi from favorite sushi places in Monterey and making it at home is just so much easier. If I want to make a meal out of it, I also will make Miso soup, steamed edamame and gyoza (aka Japanese dumplings). You can find the dumplings in pretty much any store. Trader Joe’s has my favorite; pork, veggie, or shrimp filling! California Rolls are still my favorite sushi even though it is the most basic roll.
Even though California Rolls originated from California, Los Angeles to be exact..they are made all over the world! Because the California Roll was invented, it has become one of the biggest causes of global interests in Japanese cuisine!
If you love that sweet brown sauce they serve a sushi restaurants AKA Eel Sauce, you can makes yours at home with this homemade Eel Sauce Recipe! Drizzle a bit on these California Rolls to give it extra flavor!
LOOKING FOR OTHER RECIPES TO GO WITH THIS CALIFORNIA ROLL?
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
The Easiest Homemade California Roll
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cup of jasmine rice or short grain rice
- 4 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. white sugar
- 1 avocado; sliced
- 1 cucumber; sliced into thin strips; about 1/4 inch
- Imitation crab sticks; cut each in half lengthwise
- Seaweed sheets
- Sesame seeds
- Soy sauce; optional
- Wasabi; optional
- Ginger; optional
- Place plastic wrap on top of a sushi rolling mat about an inch extra on both ends of the mat. Set aside.
- Bring water and rice to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and add rice vinegar. Stir using a wooden spoon and season with sugar. Set the rice aside and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once the rice has been cooled, place a sheet of seaweed on the sushi mat. Spread a thin layer of rice on top of the the seaweed. In no particular order, place 2 to 3 avocado slices lined across the center, then add the cucumber slices and then the crab meat.
- Using the mat as a guide, carefully roll the California roll into a tight log. Cut roll into 6 even pieces using a sharp wet knife. Repeat with remaining sheets of seaweed and filling.