Last Updated on January 17, 2022 by Kathryn Donangelo
Mini Cucumber Sandwiches make a refreshing appetizer, lunch, or snack. Made with soft sliced bread, homemade herb cream cheese, and thinly sliced cucumbers.
Cucumber Sandwiches, also known as Cucumber Tea Sandwiches are easily made in minutes with only a handful of ingredients. Also, they aren’t just for tea parties ;). They make the perfect addition to just about any occasion with very little prep work.
Whether you add these to your brunch menu, kids’ lunch box, or next tea party (or any party), everyone will be sure to love these bite-sized sandwiches. Theres a variety of ways to customize these little sandwiches to your liking (see below in post).
Refreshing, light, airy, and only take a few bites to eat. Finger food is always fun to enjoy, especially for the little ones- plus it’s a great way to have them enjoy cucumbers ;).
Sliced bread: I love using Hawaiian bread but any soft sliced bread will work perfectly such as white or whole wheat.
Cucumber: any type of cucumber will work but an English cucumber will work best since there are less seeds, water and you don’t have to peel the skin. Of course, you can peel the skin if you desire.
Cream cheese: Plain cream cheese. It’s important that the cream cheese is softened. Reduced-fat or full fat will work.
Lemon juice: adds flavor and tang to the cream cheese. It also balances out the flavors nicely.
Mayonnaise: adds creaminess to the cream cheese mixture.
Fresh dill + chives: fresh is always best since dried herbs won’t have the same flavor. If you want it extra herby- add fresh parsley too.
Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, + pepper: adds flavor.
HOW TO MAKE CUCUMBER SANDWICHES
RECIPE TIPS & VARIATIONS
- Add protein, deli-sliced ham and turkey are great options.
- Remove the crust, if you are making these for kids.
- Use regular cream cheese instead of herb cream cheese if you have picky eaters.
- If you’re in a pinch for time, use store-bought herb cream cheese.
- Use a mandolin to get perfectly sliced cucumber slices.
- Use cookie cutters to make the sandwiches into different shapes. I love shaping these into hearts for Valentine’s Day!
- Make these cucumber sandwiches even more hearty by adding more cucumber slices.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CUCUMBER SANDWICHES
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS TO ADD
If you want to add more to these sandwiches, these will all be great additions. It’s always best to slice any additional vegetable ingredients thin, similar to the sliced cucumbers.
- Red onions
- Green onions or scallions
- Cheese; sliced or shredded
OTHER LUNCH RECIPES TO TRY:
- Italian Pinwheels
- Smoked Salmon Flatbread
- Greek Salad with Avocado
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Shrimp Stuffed Avocados
- Smoked Salmon Roll Ups
- Melon Caprese Salad
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Cucumber Sandwich Recipe
- 8 slices soft bread I used Hawaiaan bread
- 1 English cucumber; thinly sliced
- 4 ounces. plain cream cheese; softened
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. lemon juice; fresh
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh dill; finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh chives; finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- pinch salt and black pepper
- With a hand mixer or a fork, mix together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, dill, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spread herb cream cheese evenly on each slice of bread, 8 total.
- Add 6-12 slices of cucumber over half of the bread slices, 4 total. Top with other half of the bread slice and gently press down on each sandwich.
- Cut each sandwich into quarters and serve immediately. Cover with plastic wrap and store for up to 24 hours.
- Optional: remove the crusts if desired. Cut each sandwich into halves or thirds. Add more fresh herbs on top of the cucumbers for additional flavor.