As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This Smoked Salmon Dip is creamy, soft, and loaded with smoked salmon, fresh herbs, and flavor! Use crackers or veggies to dip, or spread on bagels and toast! Make this easy dip for any occasion!
If you love smoked salmon, this Smoked Salmon Dip is for you! Make this dip as an easy appetizer for an entertaining, simple snack, or add this to your brunch menu to spread on bagels. Perfect for potlucks, lunches, holidays, last-minute get-togethers, and parties.
This Smoked Salmon Dip is loaded with so much flavor and it’s better than the store-bought kind..I promise! Soft cream cheese is whipped together making this dip extra silky smooth and creamy. Mixed with smoked salmon, dill, chives, lemon juices, capers, and red onions.
Smoked salmon: you want to be sure to use cold smoked salmon which is basically the same as lox. You can find smoked salmon at most grocery stores near the seafood department. This adds a delicious smokey flavor and is the key ingredient.
Cream cheese: make sure the cream cheese is softened and at room temperature to ensure an extra creamy dip. You can use either full-fat or low-fat.
Sour cream: adds the perfect amount of tanginess to this dip. You can use low-fat or fat-free sour cream as an alternative.
Mayonnaise: you just need a few tablespoons to add creaminess. You can also use plain Greek yogurt.
Fresh chives and dill: adds flavor and freshness.
Red onions and garlic: adds spice and garlicky flavor.
Lemon juice: adds zest and brightens up the flavors.
Salt and pepper: to taste. The smoked salmon is already salted so you only need a pinch! You can omit the salt if you feel like it has enough.
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED SALMON DIP
First, you start by whipping the cream cheese in a food processor along with 2 ounces of smoked salmon, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, fresh dill, and garlic. Process until combined, scrape down the sides, and pulse until smooth.
Add the dip to a medium bowl and fold in the remainder of the 2 ounces of smoked salmon, chives, dill, capers, salt, and pepper. Mix with a spoon until combined.
Place the dip in the refrigerator and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Serve with your favorite dippers such as crackers, sliced bread, and veggies.
WHAT TO EAT WITH SMOKED SALMON DIP
Some of my favorite dippers for this dip are crackers, toasted baguette slices, pita chips, bagel chips, naan bread, sliced bread. This dip can also make a delicious low-carb snack by serving it with veggies such as cucumber slices, carrots, bell peppers, celery sticks, and endive.
This dip is truly so versatile! Use it as a dip to your favorite chips, add it to avocado toast, swap mayo in sandwiches and smear this dip on instead.
Serve this dip for breakfast or brunch by spreading it on toast, bagels, and mini bagels. Everyone will devour this no matter how or where you serve it. It’s so good, you will want to gobble it down by the spoonful.
RECIPE TIPS AND VARIATIONS
Add more salmon. If you want this dip to have more smoked salmon flavor, add 8 ounces instead of 4 ounces.
You can make this a healthier version by using plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise and use a low-fat or fat-free sour cream.
Use regular cooked salmon instead of smoked salmon. If you have leftover cooked salmon from the night before, you can use that instead. This dip won’t have a smokey flavor but it will still be delicious from the salmon.
LEFTOVERS AND STORAGE
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. Once you are ready to serve the dip, make sure to stir the dip well with a spoon.
I do not recommend freezing this dip as it will change the texture completely. Fresh is always best!
CAN I MAKE THIS DIP IN ADVANCE?
YES! I love making dips a few hours ahead or the day before because it lets the flavors come together. The longer the dip sits in the refrigerator, the more flavor it will have.
OTHER DIP RECIPES
- Healthy French Onion Dip
- Easy Clam Dip
- Spicy Artichoke Dip
- Guacamole Dip
- Baked Spinach Dip
- Blue Cheese Dip
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Smoked Salmon Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened (you can use full fat or reduced-fat)
- 4 ounces smoked salmon divided and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons red onions finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a food processor add the cream cheese, 2 ounces of the smoked salmon, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, fresh dill, and garlic. Process until combined, scrape down the sides, and pulse until smooth.
- Add the dip to a medium bowl and fold in the remainder of the 2 ounces of smoked salmon, chives, dill, capers, salt, and pepper. Mix with a spoon until combined.
- Place the dip in the refrigerator and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Serve with crackers, sliced cucumbers, bagel chips, or any of your favorite crackers and veggies.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. Once you are ready to serve the dip, make sure to stir the dip well with a spoon.
- I do not recommend freezing this dip as it will change the texture completely. Fresh is always best!