Last Updated on January 9, 2023 by Kathryn Donangelo
Pancake Muffins have the same flavors of a classic buttermilk pancake in a fun muffin form. Quick, easy, and perfect for busy, on-the-go mornings! Each muffin is customizable and the entire family will love them!
Pancake Muffins Recipe
If you love pancakes for breakfast, you’ll love these adorable Pancake Muffins that are even easier to make! You don’t need any special equipment to make these- not even an electric hand mixer!
This Pancake Muffins recipe is fluffy and has the same flavors of a traditional buttermilk pancake recipe only these are SO MUCH easier! Leave the muffins plain or add you and your families favorite toppings to create different flavors. These will be a BIG hit each and every time you make them.
Be sure to also try my Baked Pancakes that are made in a sheet pan.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Ultimate grab and go: Prepare a batch of these early in the week and you’ll have breakfast ready each morning all week. Just heat and go!
Hassle-free: This recipe takes less time to make than regular pancakes and it’s made with basic ingredients. You don’t need any fancy equipment.
Customizable: You can add your favorite mix-ins and toppings to these muffins.
Easy breakfast recipe: Since these easy muffins take 30 minutes to make, these are perfect if you’re hosting a brunch, baby shower, Christmas morning breakfast, or quick breakfast for busy mornings.
- All-purpose flour: Spoon and level the flour when measuring it; don’t scoop it out of the bag using the measuring cup. This way, you won’t accidentally measure out too much.
- Baking powder & baking soda: Used as a leavening agent. This will help the pancakes rise and get fluffy.
- Egg: Adds a bit of richness and helps bind the ingredients together.
- Buttermilk: Gives the signature pancake flavor and will make the muffins extra fluffy and tender.
- Sugar: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Unsalted butter: Used in the batter and on to grease the griddle. If you use salted butter, make sure to omit salt from the recipe.
How To This Pancake Muffins Recipe
Prepare muffin cups: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 muffin pans with muffin liners or coat generously with cooking spray or coconut oil.
Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs until fluffy. Add in the buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
Combine wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until combined.
Add flour mixture to wet mixture: Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture just until combined- be sure not to over-mix. The batter will be lumpy and that’s perfectly fine!
Add toppings and bake: Equally divide the batter into 24 muffin tins, filling each muffin about 1/2 full. Add toppings of your choice (optional).Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges of the muffins start to turn a light golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from muffin pan. Enjoy!
How To Make Homemade Buttermilk
If for whatever reason you don’t have buttermilk at home you can make it from scratch. Simply pour 1 cup of regular milk (this could be whole or low-fat) into a liquid measuring cup and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Stir together and let the milk sit for 10 minutes or until it starts to curdle.
Favorite Pancake Toppings & Add-Ins
The fun part about this recipe is you get to pick and choose your favorite toppings and add-ins. You can either add to the pancake batter or to the top of pancake muffins before baking. Some ideas are:
- Chocolate chips (dark, milk, mini, or white chocolate chips)
- Pure maple syrup
- Chopped nuts
- Peanut butter chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Sliced bananas
- Colorful sprinkles (this would be fun for a birthday or celebratory breakfast!)
- Fresh fruit
- Cinnamon sugar
- Crumbled bacon or breakfast sausage
Recipe Tips & Variations
Healthy pancakes: Use whole wheat flour as a healthy alternative and swap the sugar for more honey or coconut sugar.
Milk: If you don’t want to use buttermilk, alternatively you can use whole milk, reduced fat milk, or almond milk.
Make gluten-free pancakes: Swap the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour.
Pancake mix muffins: If you want to skip making these from scratch you can. Use your favorite pancake mix instead and bake them in a standard muffin pan.
Protein pancakes: Add protein by adding a scoop or two of vanilla or plain flavored protein powder.
Mini pancake muffins: If you want to make these into mini muffins, bake them in a mini muffin tin. Just be sure to reduce the baking time.
Leftovers & Storage
To Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container or large zip-lock bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Heat in the microwave before eating to make the muffins soft and warm. You can also just let them come to room temperature for a few minutes.
To Freeze: Place muffins in an airtight container or large zip-lock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost your muffins, place them in the refrigerator to defrost overnight or on the counter for a few hours.
Make-Ahead: Pancake Muffins are great for making a batch ahead of time because they freeze so well. Once muffins are baked, cool completely, then place the muffin pan in the freeze to flash freeze for at least an hour.
Once they are semi-frozen, remove the muffins and place them in a large ziplock freezer bag. Flash freezing them will keep them from sticking together. Make the muffin glaze when ready to eat.
Other Pancake Recipes
- Oatmeal Banana Pancakes
- Blueberry Pancakes
- Silver Dollar Pancakes
- Baked Pancakes
- Fluffy Vanilla Yogurt Pancakes
- Funfetti Pancakes
Other Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Sausage Hashbrown Casserole
- Baked Donuts
- Buttermilk Waffles
- Egg White Bites
- Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
Can’t Get Enough
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on social media: Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out and leave a star rating in the recipe card! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Pancake Muffins Recipe
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- toppings and/or add-ins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners or coat generously with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs until fluffy. Add in the buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture just until combined- be sure not to over-mix. The batter will be lumpy and that's perfectly fine!
- Equally divide the batter into 24 muffin tins, filling each muffin about 1/2 full.
- Add toppings of your choice (optional).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges of the muffins start to turn a light golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from muffin pan.
- Top with butter and maple syrup or honey, enjoy!