Last Updated on
This Healthy Avocado Tuna Salad makes a perfect and hearty lunch that is packed with crunch and flavor! Spread this on toast or add to a salad!
This delicious Avocado Tuna Salad takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! Say hello to your new favorite lunch!
I love the fresh abundance of ingredients used in this Avocado Tuna Salad recipe. This tuna salad has an avocado base which is healthier for you. From the crunchy celery, cucumbers, creamy avocado and spicy red onions..this lunch recipe will be on repeat soon. This Avocado Tuna Salad is light, hearty and packed with protein to fuel your day.
A classic tuna salad recipe usually consists of tuna, a copious amount of mayo, relish and some seasonings. I’ve always loved my tuna salads to have a slight crunch for extra texture. I don’t love anything saturated in mayo so I only like to add a few tablespoons to this recipe. The best part about this recipe is the avocado! The avocado gives this recipe a creamy texture and adds extra flavor.
WAYS TO EAT THIS AVOCADO TUNA SALAD
- Spread on toast or make a hearty sandwich. Use whole-grain for an extra wholesome sandwich
- Add a few scoops of this to a salad for a low-carb option
- Serve as a dip with a side of carrot sticks, celery sticks or pita chips
- On a lettuce wrap
- Enjoy as it with a fruit salad for a ultra healthy and low-carb lunch
HOW LONG WILL THIS AVOCADO TUNA SALAD LAST?
This tuna salad will last 2 days maximum if stored properly. Please keep in mind the vegetables in the salad will lose their crispness after a few hours.
Place in an airtight container or bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Be sure the plastic wrap is touching the tuna salad so air does not get inside. The air will cause the tuna salad to turn brown because of the avocado. The same technique is used in my Guacamole recipe. Be sure not to leave the tuna salad out for too long since it has mayonnaise in it.
CAN I USE CANNED SALMON OR CHICKEN INSTEAD?
YES! I love using both as alternative lunch options because they are easy and require the same minimal work to put together as the tuna recipe. The flavor will slightly change depending on which protein you decide to use.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS HEALTHY AVOCADO TUNA SALAD
- Red onion
- Fresh lemon juice
Some other ingredients you can add for more flavor is chopped pickles or relish and any type of mustard. I often add both to this recipe but it not a requirement! If you are completely opposed to using mayo- leave it out and add an extra avocado OR sub the mayo for non-fat Greek yogurt.
LOOKING FOR OTHER LUNCH RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp Wraps
- Spinach & Salami Lunch Roll Ups
- Spinach & Artichoke Tortellini Salad
- Hummus & Veggie Sandwich
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Healthy Avocado Tuna Salad
- 1 5 ounce can of tuna drained
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise optional, makes tuna creamy
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup cucumbers diced
- 2 Tbsp. chives finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado cubed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Make sure the tuna is drained well.
- Add the tuna, mayonnaise, red onions, celery, cucumbers, chives, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Add the avocado and lemon juice to the tuna mixture and mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated and the avocado is at your desirable chunkiness. I love avocado chunks in my tuna salad but if you prefer to have it completely mashed and creamy you can.
- Enjoy on a salad, sandwich or as is!