As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This Cornbread Pudding Casserole recipe will be a new family favorite, especially during the holidays. This tasty side dish is creamy, sweet, savory, and packed with delicious cornbread flavors the whole family will love.
PIN this Cornbread Pudding Recipe to try later!
Cornbread Pudding Casserole Recipe
This easy recipe is one to keep especially this time of year. Cornbread Pudding Casserole also known as a creamy cornbread casserole is made similar to traditional cornbread, except this sweet and savory cornbread pudding is fluffy, has a custard-like texture, and made with both sweet corn kernels and cream style corn.
Not only is this cornbread pudding the perfect comfort food, it’s made in one bowl, with simple ingredients, and the easiest to whip up. This is a great side dish to serve during a weeknight dinner, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner, or any time you need to put a quick side dish on the dinner table.
Other easy casserole recipes to try this holiday season are Zucchini Casserole, Broccoli Cheddar Casserole, and Brussels Sprouts Casserole.
I love anything that has to do with cornbread like this Classic and Moist Cornbread recipe and Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins. I always remember going to this restaurant at our mall growing up called Marie Calendar’s and I would get so excited because one of my favorite things they had was regular cornbread and I thought it was the best.
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix: I love using Jiffy boxed cornbread mix to make cornbread. You can find this at just about any grocery store where the baking good are in the pantry isle. You can also make your own homemade Jiffy Cornbread Mix!
- Creamed Corn: The can of corn usually says cream-style corn or creamed corn on it. This will add a creamy texture.
- Whole Kernel Corn: Make sure to drain and rinse the corn. Alternatively you could use fresh corn but canned corn kernels are easier.
- Melted Butter: I use salted butter since I don’t add any salt to this recipe. You could also use unsalted but be sure to add a pinch of salt.
- Granulated sugar: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness. If you don’t want your cornbread casserole to be on the sweeter side you can leave the sugar out or only use 1 tablespoon. If you want it extra sweet, add an extra tablespoon more.
- Eggs: You’ll need 2 large eggs to add fluffiness and richness. The eggs will help bind the casserole together.
- Sour cream: Adds moisture and add delicious flavor. You could also use nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Milk: I use whole milk for more richness but you could also use reduced-fat or skim milk.
How To Make Cornbread Pudding Recipe
Prepare oven and casserole dish: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan, baking dish, or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients together until cornbread batter is combined. Don’t over-mix.
Bake: Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a light golden brown on the edges. Serve warm and enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Quick & Easy: You only need one bowl to make this and less than 5 minutes of prep time.
Perfect Side Dish: Both kids and adults will love this Cornbread Pudding because it tastes like the fluffiest and creamiest cornbread.
Portable: You can easily transfer this dish by placing covering the casserole with plastic wrap and foil so you can easily bring this to any holiday or occasion.
Easily Customizable: You can make this cheesy, spicy, more sweet or less sweet. See below for a full list of recipe variations.
Healthier alternative: Swap the whole milk for reduced fat or fat-free milk and swap the sour cream for plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
Skip the corn: I used to be one of those people that didn’t like corn in my actual cornbread so if you have one of those, you can omit adding the whole corn kernels completely.
Sweetness: You can swap the sugar for honey or omit the sugar completely. I do love how the added sweetness makes this casserole on the sweeter side.
Add spice: Add a can of diced jalapeños or finely chopped jalapeños.
Make it cheesy: Add a cup of sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey jack, or pepper jack cheese to make this casserole cheesy. You could also sprinkle on grated parmesan cheese to the top.
Bacon: Everything tastes better with bacon! Add chopped cooked bacon for a smokey and meaty flavor.
Can You Freeze Cornbread Pudding?
YES definitely! To freeze, wrap the cornbread pudding casserole in plastic wrap then in foil or place in an airtight container. Store for up to 3 months.
To thaw, place casserole in the refrigerator overnight or place on the counter for a few hours.
Leftovers & Storage
We all load ourselves with too much food (especially with side dishes) during the holidays, so luckily this Cornbread Casserole stores well.
Place any leftover cornbread pudding leftovers in an airtight container, storage containers, or tightly wrap the casserole dish with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days for best results.
To warm, simply place the casserole dish in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed, usually about 15-20 minutes. You could also microwave individual servings in the microwave.
Other Favorite Side Dishes To Try
- Herb-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Parmesan Baked Squash
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- Fluffy Dinner Rolls
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
Cornbread Pudding Recipe
- 8 ounces Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 15-ounce can creamed corn not drained
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 8×8 or 9×9 inch baking or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients together until combined. Don't over-mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and bake for 45-50 minutes or until lightly gold browned on the edges. Serve warm and enjoy!
So simple and delicious! Thank you for a pantry-friendly recipe.
I love pantry friendly recipes! You are so welcome, Nicolette!
Looks and sounds comforting and delicious. It’s a great side dish for the Holidays.
This is such a comforting dish! Perfect for the Holidays!
So creamy! My new favorite thanksgiving side!
I am so glad you loved it Kelley!! 🙂
I made this cornbread with chili last night and it was the perfect complement! My new favorite recipe!
Chili is such a great meal to pair this with. So yummy!
Skip the sugar and melt mini-marshmallows on top! Had it for Thanksgiving and making it again for Christmas. Yum
I love that you added marshmallows! Thank you for your review and comment. I’ll have to try that next time I make this! 🙂
If I’m doubling the portion on 8×12 casserole dish what temperature and how long should I put it in the oven for?
Hi Julia, I would check on the casserole after 50 minutes. It shouldn’t need too much additional cooking time since it will be baked in a larger casserole pan. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!