As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes couldn’t be any easier to make and they are perfect for all occasions. Edible cookie dough is stuffed into cupcakes and then topped with chocolate frosting, a mini cookie, and chocolate chips for the ultimate dessert.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
If you love cupcakes and cookie dough, this is the perfect cupcake recipe for you! It doesn’t get any better than taking a bite out of a cupcake that’s stuffed with edible chocolate chip cookie dough, am I right?
I always prefer cupcakes over cake because they make the perfect size dessert and you don’t have to feel obligated to eating a whole slice of cake. Cupcakes are also a lot easier to make in my opinion, especially this recipe.
The best part about these cupcakes is you can feel good about indulging in raw cookie dough because it’s safe to eat and it’s so satisfying. Make these for birthday parties, BBQs, potlucks, showers, dinner parties, summer picnics, or any time you’re craving a cookie dough treat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They make the ultimate dessert: Bring them to potlucks, holidays, parties, bridal showers, movie nights, or any other event. Everyone will fall in love with them and think they are the best cupcakes- because they are!
- Perfect for cookie dough fans: These Cookie Dough Cupcakes will satisfy your cookie dough cravings and it’s completely SAFE to eat made with heat-treated flour and it’s egg-free.
- Customizable: You can use your favorite cupcake, frosting, and cookie dough flavor for this recipe.
- Perfect for anytime: You can make these all year round and for any occasion. Add themed sprinkles to the top and use festive cupcake liners to make them for different holidays and occasions.
- Portable: You can easily bring these cupcakes wherever you go because they travel well and you can make them up to 1 day in advance. Just pack them up and you’ll be good to go!
- White, yellow, or my favorite homemade cupcake recipe, Vanilla Cupcakes: You can make your own from scratch or make them from boxed cake mix.
- Edible cookie dough: The star ingredient and the best thing about this recipe 😉 These cupcakes are all about the cookie dough and if you’re a cookie dough lover like me, you may want to overstuff with cookie dough to get bites of cookie dough in each bite. Use homemade cookie dough or store-bought. See below for my homemade edible cookie dough recipe. We heat-treat the flour and don’t use any raw eggs so it’s completely safe to eat.
- Chocolate frosting: Use store-bought or homemade frosting.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
In a medium bowl, cream together white sugar, brown sugar and softened butter with a fork or an electric mixer until smooth. Add in milk and and vanilla extract. Stir until combined, add in heat treated flour and mix. Add chocolate chips and mix until cookie dough has formed.
Using a paring knife and spoon, cut out about 1 1/2 inch, circular space in the center of each cupcake.
Spoon 1 – 2 tablespoons of cookie dough into each cupcake. Add frosting to the top of each cupcake and I love adding a mini chocolate chip cookie, cookie crumbs, and mini chocolate chips to the tops but this is optional. Enjoy!
- Cookie dough: You can use any cookie dough flavor you want to stuff your cupcakes. Chocolate cookie dough, sugar cookie dough, and peanut butter cookie dough make great options.
- Frosting: Chocolate, vanilla, cream cheese, buttercream, peanut butter, or a cookie dough frosting would work perfectly.
- Cupcake flavor: White, yellow, and this easy Vanilla Cupcake recipe is always my go-to for this recipe but you could also use Funfetti cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate chip cupcakes, peanut butter cupcakes, or coffee flavored cupcakes.
- Toppings: I love adding mini chocolate chip cookies, crushed chocolate chip cookies, and mini chocolate chips to the tops of these cupcakes. Other ideas are adding a scoop or large chunks of cookie dough, drizzled chocolate, caramel, sprinkles, and candy such as M&Ms or Hershey’s Bar pieces.
- Add ins: Add sprinkles to the cupcake batter to make Funfetti Cookie Dough Cupcakes.
- Gluten-free cupcakes: Use a gluten-free cupcake mix to bake the cupcakes and swap the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour in the cookie dough.
- Mini Cupcakes: Make these into miniature cupcakes by baking them in a mini cupcake pan. Keep in mind you may need to adjust the baking time.
- Use a pipping bag: Swirl on your frosting with a piping bag with a metal tip to make them extra pretty.
- Cookie dough stuffing: Add as much or as little cookie dough as you want. I personally LOVE overstuffing these cupcakes with cookie dough so I make my center hole a little larger.
- Chill the frosting: This will help the frosting hold it’s shape and create more structure.
- Save some time: Make these cupcakes in less than 30 minutes by using box mix for the cupcakes, canned frosting, and store-bought cookie dough.
- Birthday party cupcakes: Add rainbow sprinkles to the top of the cupcakes and serve with cookie dough ice cream for the best birthday treat!
- Cool cupcakes completely: Make sure cupcakes are completely cool before stuffing with cookie dough. I always recommend putting the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool.
Is Cookie Dough Safe To Eat?
YES! It is with this recipe because we use an egg-free cookie dough and we heat-treat the flour.
No need to worry! Heating the flour will kill any bacteria present if theres any in the raw flour. To heat the flour simple, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 5-10 minutes. You can also place the flour in a bowl in a microwave and heat on high for 20-45 seconds.
Leftovers & Storage
To-store: Store any leftovers in an airtight container or cover dish tightly with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. After that, transfer to a refrigerator to store for 3-4 days. They may seem dry once they are chilled so it’s always best to eat them fresh. Let the cupcakes sit out for at least 5 minutes to come to room temperature before eating for the best flavor and texture.
To-freeze: I don’t recommend freezing cupcakes with the frosting, however, you can freeze the baked cupcakes without the frosting for up to 3 months. When ready to frost, you can frost them frozen or you can let them thaw. Just be sure they are completely thawed before serving.
Make these cupcakes the day before to save some time. Bake the cupcakes according to the recipe and let cool completely, stuff with cookie dough, then frost and add toppings. You could also frost and add toppings when ready to eat. Place frosted or unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container and serve when ready.
Other Cookie Dough Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
- Cookie Dough Brownies
- Sugar Cookie Dough Truffles
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- Sugar Cookie Dough
- Healthy Cookie Dough Energy Bites
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- 12 white, yellow, or vanilla cupcakes baked and cooled
- your favorite chocolate frosting
- chocolate chip cookies optional for topping cupcakes
Edible Cookie Dough
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heat treated all-purpose flour see recipe notes
- mini chocolate chip cookies optional
- crushed chocolate chip cookies optional
- mini chocolate chips optional
Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- In a medium bowl, cream together white sugar, brown sugar and softened butter with a fork or an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add in milk and and vanilla extract. Stir until combined, add in flour and mix.
- Add chocolate chips and mix until cookie dough has formed.
- Using a paring knife and spoon, cut out about 1 1/2 inch, circular space in the center of each cupcake.
- Spoon 1 – 2 tablespoons into each cupcake. Frost with chocolate frosting and top with cookies (optional). Enjoy