As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough is a quick and easy treat to make when you’re craving something sweet! It’s completely safe to eat and tastes just like sugar cookies. Enjoy it by the spoonful or add it to your favorite ice cream!
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
Who doesn’t love cookie dough? Sneaking a few spoonfuls of raw cookie dough while baking a batch of cookies is the best part, am I right? This Sugar Cookie Dough recipe is edible and safe to eat so you don’t have to feel guilty. Unlike regular cookie dough, this edible version is made without any raw eggs, leavening agent, and we use heat-treated flour.
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough is soft, sweet, and will remind you of traditional sugar cookies, especially if you like them a little soft and gooey. This is the perfect treat if you don’t want to spend time baking cookies from scratch but want to satisfy your sweet tooth craving!
Add this edible dough to the top of cakes, cupcakes, stuff in-between cookies to make a cookie dough sandwich, or dunk cookie dough balls in chocolate for a truffle-like dessert. This is a fun treat for both kids and adults and it’s always a good idea to have this stashed in your refrigerator.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Heat Treated All Purpose Flour: We heat-treat the flour to avoid any harmful bacteria so you won’t get food poisoning or feel sick. See how-to heat-treat flour in notes.
- Salt: Just a pinch to balance out the sweetness.
- Sugar: We use granulated white sugar because what would sugar cookies be without it? Alternatively, you could also use coconut sugar if you wanted a healthier alternative.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances all of the flavors. I love to add almond extract to give the dough a sweeter flavor- I usually add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract.
- Softened Butter: Unsalted butter is preferred so you can control the saltiness. Be sure the butter is softened at room temperature so it mixes well with the other ingredients.
- Rainbow sprinkles: Add these in for fun and color if you wish. You can add any of your favorite add-ins.
how to make Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, flour, and salt with an electric hand mixer until combined. Add in sprinkles or your favorite mix-ins and enjoy!
How To Heat Treat Flour
You always want to be sure you heat the flour before consuming it raw in recipes like this. Theres a small chance that raw flour can contain salmonella and other bacterias so we want to be extra careful.
To make raw flour safe to eat, place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 5-10 minutes. Just be sure it doesn’t burn.
You can also microwave the flour which would be the quickest and easiest way. Place the flour in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 20-45 seconds. Each microwave is different, so please be mindful of the temperature.
recipe tips & variations
- Thinner cookie dough: If you want your cookie dough to not be as thick, add about a tablespoon of milk or almond milk to the dough until you’ve reached desired consistency.
- Small batch recipe: If you want to make a smaller batch, only make 1/2 or 1/4 of the recipe.
- Large batch recipe: You can easily dough, triple, or quadruple this recipe if you wanted!
- Chocolate: I love loading my cookie dough with chocolate chips to give it a chocolate flavor. You can add either semi-sweet chocolate chips, chocolate chunks. dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
- Cookie dough bits: Roll cookie dough into mini ball shapes and place in the refrigerator or freezer to add to ice cream sundaes, milkshakes, or on top of cakes.
IS IT SAFE TO EAT Edible sugar COOKIE DOUGH?
YES! It is with this recipe because we use an egg-free cookie dough and we heat-treat the flour.
No need to worry, friends! Heating the flour will kill any dangerous bacteria present if theres any in the raw flour. To heat the flour simple, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 5-10 minutes. You can also place the flour in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 20-45 seconds.
- Chocolate chips: I love adding mini chocolate chips but you can add any kind.
- Holiday themed sprinkles: This makes a delicious treat during the holiday season. Add red and green sprinkles for Christmas or black and orange sprinkles for Halloween.
- Toffee bits
- Your favorite chopped up candy bar
- Chopped nuts: Chopped almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, and hazelnuts all make great options.
- Peanut butter: Add a few tablespoons of creamy or crunchy peanut butter depending the texture you want. Peanut butter chips and peanut butter cups make a great addition!
leftovers & storage
- To-store: Place any leftover cookie dough in an airtight container or wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for up up to 1 week.
- To-freeze: Store cookie dough in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 6 months. I love to roll the cookie dough out into cookie dough balls or small bits and have a stash to add to ice cream or snack on.
Other easy desserts to try
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heat treated all-purpose flour see notes below
- pinch salt
- rainbow sprinkles optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, flour, and salt with an electric mixer until combined. Add in sprinkles or your favorite mix-ins and enjoy!
- Heat-Treat Flour: Heating the flour will kill any bacteria present if theres any. To make raw flour safe to eat, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 5-10 minutes. Just be sure it doesn’t burn. You can also microwave the flour which would be the quickest and easiest way. Place the flour in a bowl and heat on high for 20-45 seconds. Each microwave is different, so please be mindful of the temperature.