As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
These quick and easy Spice Cake Mix Cookies are made in one bowl and 7 simple ingredients. This doctored cake mix recipe makes soft and tender cookies that are full of delicious Fall spices and flavors. These will quickly become a new favorite!
Spice Cake Mix Cookies are packed with classic warm spice flavor and are full of texture. These make a perfect treat and luckily baking season is pretty much here! Made with a box of store-bought box spice cake mix, smooth cream cheese, and a touch of rich vanilla, these semi-homemade cookies are ridiculously addicting.
And if you’ve been following along for awhile, you know that I am OBSESSED with cake mix cookie recipes. Not everything needs to be 100% made from scratch in order to be delicious!
These spice cookies are the best of worlds! You have cake and chewy cookies coming together into one tasty hand-held dessert – I mean what’s more ideal than that? And these cookies are perfectly spiced with a pillow-y soft center and slightly crispy edges. Roll dough balls in sugar, for added caramelization and texture!
Spice cookies are a wonderful treat to serve during the fall or to display on your dessert table at Thanksgiving. And if you’re looking for more tasty and easy cookies to add to your sweet table this holiday season be sure to check out my soft Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles, or my Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies, and finally my sweet Gingerbread Cookie Bars for one irresistible cookie platter!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE DELICIOUS COOKIES
- Enjoy them for breakfast, dessert, or as a snack with a cup of coffee or tea!
- Made with cake mix so this is a great recipe if you need a quick dessert.
- Packed with all the flavors of Fall!
- Bake these for any occasion, parties, Halloween, Thanksgiving, or for a cookie exchange.
- Box of Spice Cake mix
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin candies
Spice cake mix: One of the main ingredients. I used Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Spice Cake Mix but feel free to use any brand you can find or prefer at your local grocer.
Cream cheese: Use brick-style cream cheese; not cream cheese spread. Full-fat, low-fat, or fat-free will work.
Vanilla extract: Use pure vanilla extract; not imitation. Vanilla extract provides flavor but also brings out the flavors.
HOW TO MAKE SPICE COOKIES
STEP ONE: In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix melted butter and egg.
STEP TWO: Combine cake mix and vanilla extract with the butter egg mixture. Beat in cream cheese. Then chill cookie dough in fridge for 30 minutes.
STEP THREE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
STEP FOUR: Scoop cookie dough ball into dough balls using a small cookie scoop and roll in sugar. Place onto prepared baking sheet and gently flatten. Bake for 8 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Remove from oven and place candy pumpkin in center. Let the cookies cool for a couple of minutes before transfer to wire wrack. Cool completely and enjoy!
SPICE COOKIE RECIPE VARIATIONS
- To add more warm fall flavors and texture, add in cinnamon chips, butterscotch chips, oatmeal, and caramel bits.
- If you need to make this recipe gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free spiced cake mixes.
- Swap out the pumpkin candy for candy corn or add in reindeer corn or Hershey’s Kisses if making this at Christmas time.
- Add chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
- Instead of using butter, you could swap for 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
- Top the cookies with a cream cheese frosting or any of your favorite frosting flavors.
TIPS FOR SPICE CAKE MIX COOKIES
- Use a small ice cream scoop to keep all your cookies the same size. This will allow for even baking and prevent the cookies from burning.
- Make the batter up to 2 days in advance and store in the fridge until ready to bake.
- Do not over bake. Cookies will continue to cook once removed from oven.
- Allow cookies to cook for a few minutes on the cookie sheet prior to transferring to the cooling rack. They will fall apart if too warm.
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days at room temperature.
Spice cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months. Just bake, allow cookies to completely cool, then place in an air tight container or freezer bag. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
CAN I MAKE INTO A COOKIE BAR INSTEAD OF COOKIES
You sure can! I would recommend using a 13×9 inch baking dish and line with parchment paper. Once cookie dough comes together, transfer batter to baking dish press into an even layer. Sprinkle top with sugar.
Bake for 13-16 minutes. Once removed from oven, place your pumpkin candies on the bars. Allow the dish to completely cool prior to cutting. You should get approximately 25 bars out of this recipe.
CAN I ADD MORE SPICE?
Of course! If you would like a more robust warm flavor, feel free to add 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and clove.
MORE FALL INSPIRED DESSERTS TO TRY:
- Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Thanksgiving Cinnamon Roll Turkeys
- Soft Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats
- Apple Pie Cheesecake Bites
- Turkey Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Pumpkin Banana Bread Bars
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream with Cinnamon Crust
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Spice Cookies (made from cake mix)
- 1/2 cup butter; melted
- 1 whole large egg
- 1 box. spice cake mix; any brand
- 4 oz. cream cheese; softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 24 pumpkin candies
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl mix together melted butter and egg.
- Add in the cake mix and vanilla extract and mix with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in the cream cheese and scrape down the edges of the bowl. Place the cookie dough in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat mat.
- Scoop cookie dough balls with a mini ice cream scoop (equivalent to 2 tablespoons). Roll into a bowl of sugar and place on cookie sheet and gently flatten with hand. Bake cookies for 8 minutes. It is ok if the cookies seem under-baked.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place candy pumpkin in the center of each cookie. Let cool for a few minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to cooling rack. Enjoy!
- Leftovers: Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Spice cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months. Just bake, allow cookies to completely cool, then place in an air tight container or freezer bag. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
- Make these for Christmas by adding a Hershey's Kiss or any favorite Christmas chocolate to the tops instead of pumpkins.
- Make these into Cookie Bars by making cookie dough as you normally would and then bake it in a 13x9 inch baking pan for 13-16 minutes. Once removed from oven, place your pumpkin candies on the bars. Allow the dish to completely cool prior to cutting. You should get approximately 25 bars out of this recipe.
This recipe was originally published on Oct. 26, 2021. It was republished on July. 22, 2022, to include additional information.