Last Updated on March 8, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
Sweet and tangy Lemon Pie is an easy make ahead dessert recipe that’s bursting with bright citrus flavor! Simply whip together the creamy, lemony filling in just minutes and bake in a perfectly flaky readymade pie crust for absolutely the best, easiest lemon pie ever!
EASY LEMON PIE RECIPE
I love dessert recipes that are satisfying and luxurious without being too heavy or overly sweet. Add in a bit of fresh fruit and I’m in heaven! Have you tried my Raspberry Oatmeal Bars or this Healthy Pomegranate Apple Cobbler recipes yet?!
Just like those sweet and fruity treats, my Easy Lemon Pie recipe is a delicious combination of bright and fresh flavors with tender, satisfying baked goodness.
This simple, scrumptious lemon pie recipe only needs 10 minutes of prep time and bakes in just 30 minutes! Then it cools and chills completely hands-off.
It even uses a store bought pie crust for a nearly foolproof lemon pie recipe!
Make it ahead a day or two in advance, earlier in the day, or even just a couple of hours before you plan to enjoy… It’s perfect(ly delicious!) to prepare and serve on your schedule.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE LEMON PIE
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Egg yolks + 1 whole egg
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Store bought unbaked pie crust
Plus whipped cream for topping, if you like!
HOW TO MAKE LEMON PIE FROM SCRATCH
1. First, prepare the pie crust by allowing to rest on the counter for a bit until no longer cold. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then line a 9-inch pie plate with the dough, and use your fingers or a fork to crimp and make a pretty crust. Lightly prick the crust with a fork a few times on the bottom so the crust doesn’t rise.
2. Bake the crust for about 8 minutes in the preheated oven.
3. Meanwhile, make the pie filling: In a large bowl combine the sweetened condensed milk, egg, and egg yolks using a whisk or electric mixer. Beat on high until the mixture gets fluffy. Then add in the lemon juice and zest, and thoroughly combine.
4. Pour the filling into the baked and slightly cooled pie crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until the lemon pie is set and no longer jiggly. Give it a little tap on the side, and bake for a minute longer if there’s still too much wiggle!
5. Remove from the oven right away, and set on a wire rack. Let the lemon pie cool for at least an hour – or up to overnight! – on the countertop before covering with plastic wrap and moving to the fridge.
SUGGESTIONS FOR HOW TO SERVE LEMON PIE
Zesty and refreshing lemon pie is best served chilled right from the fridge.
Garnish slices with a bit of fresh lemon zest for an extra pop of citrus and fun texture. And I love to enjoy this yummy dessert with a big dollop of whipped cream on top!
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS AND FREEZE
Keep the pie covered with plastic wrap or foil, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
You can even freeze homemade lemon pie! Bake the pie using a freezer-safe pie plate, and cover tightly with plastic wrap once completely cooled. Then store the pie in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before enjoying chilled.
LOOKING FOR OTHER EASY DESSERT RECIPES? YOU’LL LOVE THESE:
- Cherry Hand Pies
- Mini Cannoli Bites
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Salted Caramel Brownies Pie
- Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Glazed Buttermilk Donut Cake
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Easy Lemon Pie
- 2 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice; about 8 lemons
- zest of one lemon
- 1 store bought unbaked pie crust
- whipping cream; optional
- Preahet oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 9 inch round pie pan with unbaked pie crust. I like to crinkle the crust with my fingers at the top for decoration (this is optional). You can also crimp the edges of the crust with a fork.
- Pre-bake the pie crust for 8 minutes and then remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or whisk, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and eggs until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the lemon juice and lemon zest and beat until combined.
- Pour the lemon filling into the pie crust and bake for 25-30 minutes just until the top of the pie is set and no longer jiggly. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least an hour or overnight. Place pie the refrigerator once the pie is fully cooled.
- It is best to serve pie when it is chilled. Cut the pie into slices, top with whipped cream (optional) and enjoy!