As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
These Raspberry Almond Scones are unbelievably tender and soft, with just the right bit of crumble! They are bursting with fresh raspberries and sweet almond flavor, and topped with a perfect homemade glaze. You’ll love how easy and satisfying this scone recipe is to make from scratch as a special breakfast treat!
Fresh baked scones are one of my favorite breakfast treats to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea. They are so terrifically dense and tender – just right for dunking or savoring between sips!
The tastiest scones are slightly crumbly, but not at all dry. I repeat, if you are ever served dry, hard, brittle scones, walk away immediately!
These Raspberry Almond Scones are exactly the kind of scones you need in your life! Thick yet light, with a tender and moist crumb that’s filled with real raspberries…they are even topped with a (super simple!) homemade almond glaze for absolutely the best scones ever!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE RASPBERRY ALMOND SCONES
For the Raspberry Almond Scones you need:
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Lemon zest
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream
- Almond extract
- Vanilla extract
- Raspberries: fresh or frozen
To make the perfect almond glaze you need:
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Almond extract
- Slivered or chopped almonds
If you like your glaze a bit thinner you’ll also need a splash or two of milk.
HOW TO MAKE RASPBERRY ALMOND SCONES FROM SCRATCH
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the raspberry scone dough in just 4 simple steps:
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Then use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut in the cubes of chilled butter. It should combine with the dry ingredients to make a coarse, sand-like texture.
- Next, whisk together the egg, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, almond extract and vanilla extract in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture using a wooden spoon or your hands. Don’t over mix, or your scones will wind up too dense! Then mix the raspberries in with your hands, so that the dough becomes firm and the berries are fully incorporated.
Now it’s time to shape these into those classic beautiful scone wedges we know and love.
Generously dust a clean surface with flour, and roll the dough into a 1/2 inch thick circle. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 even triangle shapes, like you are cutting a pizza.
Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet, spread slightly apart. Brush the tops with heavy whipping cream – the secret to perfectly moist and tender scones!
Bake the Raspberry Almond Scones for 15 minutes, until they just start to brown. Remove them immediately from the oven, and let rest for a minute or two on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
HOW TO MAKE FRESH ALMOND GLAZE FOR SCONES
Simply whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. It should be slightly thick but pourable!
If you want a thinner glaze, add milk a tablespoon at a time, whisking thoroughly, until you reach the desired consistency.
Once the baked scones have cooled to the touch, use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the raspberry and almond scones. Sprinkle the tops with chopped or slivered almonds while the glaze is wet.
TIPS FOR HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE RASPBERRY ALMOND SCONES
Keep cooled scones at room temperature in an airtight container, or wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. I recommend waiting to glaze the scones until you’re ready to enjoy, so that they don’t get messy when stored.
LOOKING FOR OTHER SWEET BREAKFAST RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE!
- Apple Cinnamon Scones
- Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
- Mini Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls (The Best Ever)
- Easiest Homemade Pop Tarts
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- Ricotta Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Raspberry Almond Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter; cubed and cold
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberries; fresh and patted dry OR frozen raspberries
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- slivered or chopped almonds, for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt.
- With a pastry cutter or fork, cut in the chilled butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is coarse and you can see crumbs from the butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, almond extract and vanilla extract.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands. Be sure no to over-mix. Add in the raspberries and mix with your hands. Knead the dough firmly and gently just until all of the raspberries are combined. If the dough gets sticky, add more flour until it is pliable and doesn't stick to your hands.
- On a well-floured surface, shape the dough with your hands into a thick circle that's about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles and place on the prepared parchment paper, leaving a little space in-between each scone. Brush with heavy whipping cream and bake for 15 minutes, just until the scones are golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream and almond extract until smooth. If you prefer the icing to be thinner, add milk.
- Once the scones have baked and cooled, spoon or drizzle the glaze on top of each scone. Sprinkle with almonds (optional) and enjoy!
- Read recipe notes on how to store leftovers properly.