Last Updated on December 31, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
These quick and easy brookies are made in one bowl and with 2 simple store-bought ingredients. This semi-homemade recipe is the perfect combination of rich and fudgy brownies and soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Brookies are the ultimate way to enjoy your two favorite sweet treats in one!
What do you do when you’re craving a rich fudgy brownie and a soft tender chocolate chip cookie? You make Brookies, of course! Because why not treat yourself to both!
And if you’ve been following along for a while now, you know that I love cookie bars but brookies are one of my absolute favorites! Plus, they couldn’t be easier to make. Simply whip up your favorite store-bought boxed brownie mix and your favorite pre-made cookie dough and bake them together until they’re a melt-in-your-mouth delicious handheld treat!
Serve these semi-homemade brookies with a big ol’ glass of cold milk, a cup of hot chocolate, or serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate dessert!
If you love cookie bar as much as I do, be sure to check out my soft and chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, or my favorite holiday Gingerbread Bars, and finally my fun twist on a birthday cake: Funfetti Cake Mix Cookie Bars!
- Boxed brownie mix
- Pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough
- Flakey sea salt
Boxed brownie mix: While this recipe calls for store-bought brownie mix, feel free to make brownies from scratch if you prefer!
Pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough: Any pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough will work for this recipe; I like using Nestle Toll House dough. However, you can make the cookie dough from scratch if you’d like!
HOW TO MAKE BROOKIES
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
STEP TWO: Make brownies according to directions and spread evenly into prepared pan.
STEP THREE: Using a medium cookie scoop, form 24 cookie dough balls from prepared dough and flatten with your hands. Place on top of brownie batter.
STEP FOUR: Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cookie dough is golden brown. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and allow to cool for 10-minutes prior to slicing and serving. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
BROOKIE RECIPE VARIATIONS
- Add pecans or walnuts for a nutty crunch
- Mix in white chocolate chips for added sweetness
- Once cool, drizzle chocolate or sweet caramel over the top
- Make in a cast-iron skillet and cut into triangular slices
HOW TO STORE
Store brookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.
Baked brookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw at room temperature prior to serving.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN BROOKIES ARE DONE?
Because Brookies are two separate batters they need to bake for 30 minutes. When the cookies start to turn golden brown on top you will know they are done. Brookies may seem soft straight from the oven but will stiffen up and continue to cook as they cool.
You can also insert a toothpick into the middle of the brownie cookie bars. The batter should be slightly gooey but not wet when a toothpick is removed.
CAN I MAKE THESE IN A MINI MUFFIN PAN?
Of course! Brownie mix will still be prepared according to box directions. To assemble, see below:
- Grease or line muffin pan with paper liners
- Using a tablespoon or a small cookie scoop, measure out 1 tablespoon of brown batter and place at bottom. Top brownie batter with 1 tablespoon of cookie dough.
- Smooth out cookie dough using a spoon or small palette knife
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow brookies to cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling.
OTHER SEMI-HOMEMADE TREATS TO TRY:
- Christmas Tree Brownies
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- No-Bake Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies
- Best Ever Spice Cookies
- Funfetti ‘Dunkaroo’ Cheesecake Bites
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
- 1 box brownie mix; plus ingredients to make brownies
- 1 16 oz. pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough; preferably 24 cookies
- flaky sea salt; optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper, set aside.
- Make the brownies according to package directions and spread evenly onto the prepared pan.
- Form 24 cookie dough balls and flatten with your hands. Place on top of the brownie batter and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cookie dough is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- Sprinkle flaky sea salt on top of the cookie dough for an extra delicious flavor! Salt and chocolate pair SO well together!
- Store brookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.
- Baked brookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw at room temperature prior to serving.
- You can make these in a mini muffin form. Directions are in the blog post.