Last Updated on October 9, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
Celebrate Halloween with this fun Halloween Mummy Dogs Recipe. They are delicious, kid-friendly and perfect for the holiday season. Make this yummy snack using just 4 ingredients in 25 minutes and serve them with your favorite dipping sauce.
MUMMY DOGS RECIPE
These Halloween Mummy Dogs Recipe are a spookier version of pigs-in-a-blanket. Take your favorite mini sausage or hot dog and turn it into a fun, delicious, and oh-so-easy treat that even kids can help make! If you love spooky treats, try my Mummy Rice Krispy Treats that are also easy to make.
These fun little mummy dogs are an adorable Halloween treat that are perfect as a holiday party appetizer or as a pre-trick-or-treating meal when paired with French fries and fresh fruit. Serve these Halloween mummy dogs with your favorite dipping sauce for a shockingly delicious treat!
Cooked Sausages: I used fully cooked Italian sausage but feel free to use your favorite brand or flavor of sausage. You can also use hotdogs instead of sausages if you prefer.
Rolled Dough: I used Pillsbury crescent dough but feel free to use any refrigerated crescent dough you can find.
Mayonnaise: Any brand of mayo will work as you only need a dab to stick on the eyes!
Edible eyes: These can be found in the baking section of most grocery stores year round but they could be moved to the seasonal section if Halloween is near. If you are unable to find edible eyes, you can make your own by adding a dab of mayo onto the mummy and then placing a poppy seed or piece of olive on top.
*you can also find these edible eyes on Amazon or Target.
HOW TO MAKE MUMMY DOGS
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
STEP TWO: Dry sausage links with paper towel and set aside. Roll out dough and pinch seams together. Cut into thin strips.
STEP THREE: Wrap the sausages with the thin strips of dough, leaving room for the eyes, and place on a baking sheet.
STEP FOUR: Bake until golden brown. Let mummies cool for 10 minutes then dab a set of eyes with mayo and place on the mummies. Enjoy!
MUMMY DOGS RECIPE VARIATIONS
- Use puff pastry or pizza dough instead of crescent dough
- Feel free to use your favorite hot dog or little smokies if you cannot find or do not like fully cooked sausage
- If you are unable to find edible eyes, use natural alternatives. You can dab mustard or ketchup for the eyes or add a dab of mayo onto the mummy and then placing a poppy seed or piece of olive on top.
- Add one eye to some mummies and two eyes to others!
- Add cheese! Place a slice of your favorite cheese under each sausage/hot dog and wrap the crescent dough around both the sausage/hot dog and cheese. Bake according to recipe and enjoy!
TIP FOR MAKING HALLOWEEN MUMMY DOGS RECIPE
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough. These mummies require the dough to be in extremely thin strips. The pizza cutter will help you attain the thin even strips you’ll need.
- Be sure to not overbake. Over baking will cause the sausages/hot dogs to dry out.
CAN I MAKE THESE MUMMY DOGS AHEAD OF TIME?
These can be made a day in advance. Prepare to step #3 on recipe card. Then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When ready to make, bake at 375°F until golden brown.
To freeze ahead, assemble the mummy dogs according to recipe card, place on a baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer safe Ziploc bag or storage container. Frozen mummy dogs will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to bake, no need to thaw. Simply place frozen mummy dogs on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Leftover mummies make a delicious lunch or dinner the next day. You could also add them to your kids’ lunch box for a spooky surprise. 🙂 Store any leftover mummy dogs in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
When ready to eat, reheat in the oven at 375°F for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat these mummies in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
MORE HALLOWEEN RECIPES TO TRY:
- Mummy Rice Krispie Treats
- Halloween Pumpkin Deviled Eggs
- Caramel Apple Cider
- Halloween Monster Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- 9 Sweet Halloween Treat Ideas!
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Halloween Mummy Dogs Recipe
- 8 fulled cooked sausages or hot dogs I used Italian, you can use any sausage flavor.
- 1 can crescent roll dough
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise
- 16 edible eyes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pat the sausage links dry with a paper towel and set aside. Divide the crescent roll dough into 4. Roll out with a rolling pin and cut into 12-14 strips. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Wrap each sausage link with crescent dough strips to look like a mummy. Be sure to leave a little space at the top for the eyes.
- Bake the mummies for 12-14 minutes, or until the crescent dough is a light golden brown. Let the mummmies cool for 10 minutes and then with a toothpick, dab each set of eyes with mayonnaise and place on the mummies. Enjoy!
- Store any leftover mummy dogs in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
- If you can't find the edible eyes, you can use mayonnaise and poppy seeds or mayonnaise and black olives instead for the eyes.
- You could use hotdogs instead of sausages if you prefer.