As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This Bunny Bait recipe is a fun and easy dessert for an Easter celebration! Loaded with crunchy cereal, almonds, pretzels, and coated with melted chocolate, Easter candy, mini marshmallows and fun sprinkles.
Bunny Bait (Easter Snack Mix)
Bunny Bait makes a perfect treat for Easter and the whole family will love. This Bunny Bait recipe is also known to be called Easter Puppy Chow, Bunny Bait Trail Mix, Easter Muddy Buddies, Easter Mix, or Easter Bunny Mix. Whatever you want to call it, both kids and adults will be hooked on it!
Bunny Bait is made with simple ingredients and loaded with texture, flavor, and can be customized with your favorite snacking ingredients. You can also make this for different holidays by switching out the candies and sprinkle colors.
Other easy Easter Treats to make is my Easter Bunny Spinach Dip, Easter Rice Krispie Treats, Easter Bunny Cookies, and Carrot Cake Muffins!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Sweet and salty treat: This mix is packed with all kinds of texture from the crunchy Chex mix cereal to the soft mini marshmallows. Your taste buds will be in heaven.
- Fun springtime treat: Make this for class parties, lunch box treats, Easter baskets, movie nights, birthday parties, and gifts. Wrap them into individual treat bags for an easy and delicious gift.
- No bake treat: No need to turn on the oven and spend tons of time in the kitchen preparing these homemade treats. These are quick and can be prepped the day ahead if you need to make these for school events or parties.
- Portable: Place treats in an airtight container, Easter bowl, or ziplock bag and these can travel anywhere.
- Customizable: You can add your favorite sweet or salty snack favorites. You can also make this Bunny Bait for any occasion! Just swap the Easter candy for regular m&M candies or any holiday themed colored M&Ms and sprinkles.
- Chex cereal: You can use either corn or rice Chex cereal as they both work great for this recipe.
- Pretzels: I like to use the regular mini twist sized pretzels but you can also use pretzel sticks, pretzel snaps, pretzel rounds, or any other shape.
- Cheerios: Regular Cheerios or Honey Nut Cheerios are perfect. I like to use regular Cheerios since they are not as sweet and will get coated in white chocolate.
- Almonds: Adds crunch and a nutty flavor. You can add slightly roasted and salted almonds to offset the sweet flavor.
- White chocolate chips: You can also use any type of candy melts or almond bark.
- Almond extract: Adds a sweet flavor that always reminds me of Easter! This is optional but I love the flavor it gives the chocolate.
- Mini marshmallows: Gives the snack mix a soft and chewy texture.
- Mini Cadbury eggs or Mini Robin Eggs: I love the color these festive treats bring. You can use any kind of Easter candy your local grocery store has..
- Spring sprinkles: Adds color and fun!
How To Make Bunny Bait
Add ingredients to large bowl: Place Chex cereal, pretzels, Cheerios, almonds, in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Melt chocolate: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine white chocolate and almond extract and melt in the microwave until smooth and stir. I like to heat the microwave in 20 second intervals to ensure the chocolate doesn’t overheat.
Coat mixture with chocolate: Pour the melted white chocolate over cereal mixture and gently fold until coated. (If you want to make half of your mixture pink, save half of the melted chocolate and add about 3 drops of food coloring. Mix until light pink, then mix in cereal).
Top with remaining ingredients: Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, wax paper, or foil. Pour the coated cereal and spread with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with mini marshmallows, candy eggs, and sprinkles.
Let harden: Let set together for 15-20 minutes so the cereal has time to set- some will clump together and that’s perfect. Gently mix together and enjoy!
Recipe Variations & Add-Ins
Peanut butter: Give this easy treat a peanut butter flavor by adding a few tablespoons of creamy peanut butter to the melted chocolate- just be sure to omit the almond extract. You could also add in Reese’s pieces or peanut butter chips if you want even more peanut butter.
Add-ins: Add in your favorite chocolate candies, chocolate chips, jelly beans, pastel m&m candies, salted or funfetti popcorn, shredded coconut, and bunny grahams.
Add color: You can add food gel to the melted white chocolate to make the mix even more colorful. Light pink, blue, yellow, or green are perfect for Easter season!
Works for all holidays: Enjoy this treat all year round! Make it for Valentine’s Day, Christmas, Halloween, Birthdays, and the 4th of July! You can usually find holiday themed M&M candies and sprinkles at your local grocery store.
This Bunny Bait makes a perfect Easter treat the pastel colored candies and springs sprinkles makes this a gorgeous Easter theme!
You may want to make a double batch of this snack mix because it’s addicting and it will go quick!
Leftovers & Storage
This snack mix will last for up to 1-2 weeks when stored in an airtight container or large ziplock bag in a cool area (the kitchen counter is a perfect place!).
Other Easy Easter Desserts
- Spring Time Cake Mix Cookies
- Cake Mix Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Carrot Cake Bars with Cheesecake Swirl
- Italian Ricotta Cookies
- Easter Bunny Cupcakes
- Bunny Spinach Dip
- Easter Bunny Cake
- Easy Lemon Pie
- Easter Bunny Peep Pops
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
Bunny Bait Recipe
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2 cup regular Cheerios
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 11 ounce bag white chocolate chips or melting chocolate
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup Mini Cadbury Eggs or any favorite Easter candy
- pastel or Easter themed sprinkles
- Place Chex cereal, pretzels, Cheerios, almonds, in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine white chocolate and almond extract and melt in the microwave until smooth and stir. I like to heat the microwave in 20 second intervals to ensure the chocolate doesn't overheat.
- Pour white chocolate over cereal mixture and gently fold until coated. (If you want to make half of your mixture pink, save half of the melted chocolate and add about 3 drops of food coloring. Mix until light pink, then mix in cereal).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Pour the coated cereal and spread with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with mini marshmallows, candy eggs, and sprinkles.
- Let set together for 15-20 minutes so the cereal has time to set- some will clump together and that's perfect. Gently together and enjoy!
- This snack mix will last for up to 1-2 weeks when stored in an airtight container or large ziplock bag in a cool area (the kitchen counter is a perfect place!).
This recipe was originally published in 2015. It was republished on March 15, 2023, to include additional information and photos.