Last Updated on July 20, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
This Date Bar Recipe has a cinnamon oat crust and a delicious date filling. These bars are chewy, soft and make a sweet snack or breakfast!
This chewy Date Bars Recipe is packed with incredible flavors of sweetened dates and layered with a cinnamon oatmeal crust. If you love dates, you will love this classic recipe that can be enjoyed as a sweet snack, breakfast or even dessert! These will be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth any time of the day.
If these Date Bars have your attention, try these Raspberry Oatmeal Bars that are made fresh raspberries, a buttery oatmeal crust and topping.
The cinnamon oatmeal crust resembles a chewy cookie and when the date filling gets baked in between the oatmeal layers, they almost taste like a rich and creamy caramel filling. These bars are a fancier version of Fig Newton bars and you will be so much happier when you taste how good they are!
You can make these into a Chewy Date Nut Bars Recipe by simply adding a handful of your favorite chopped nuts to the oatmeal crust. Almonds, pecans or walnuts are all great options if you wanted a nutty boost.
INGREDIENTS: FOR DATE BAR FILLING
- Dates; pitted
INGREDIENTS: FOR DATE BAR CRUST
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE DATE BARS RECIPE
To prep the date filling:
To prep the crust:
THESE DATE BARS ARE
- Super easy to make and can be enjoyed as a breakfast, snack or dessert.
- Perfectly chewy, rich in flavor and packed with wholesome ingredients.
- Easy to make, vegan and can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free oats and flour.
- So satisfying when you are craving a delicious sweet treat!
This super easy Date Bar Recipe makes a fantastic treat to put into your kids’ lunchbox and they won’t even know these are made with dates.
LOOKING FOR OTHER DESSERT BAR RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Carrot Cake Bars
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Pumpkin Banana Bread Bars
- Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
- Superfood Breakfast Bars
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- Cranberry Almond Energy Bites
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Bites
- Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Date Bar Recipe
Date bar filling
- 2 cups dates; pitted
- 1 1/2 cups water
For the oatmeal crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter; cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 Tbsp. water
To prep the date filling
- Place the dates and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the water has thickened and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
To prep the oat crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda until combined. Add the butter and continue to process until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add in the oats and water and pulse until combined.
- Press half of the oat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish with a spatula or your hands. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread the date mixture over the partially baked crust and then sprinkle the remainder oat mixture over the dates. Lightly press down. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops of the crust is a light golden brown. Let cool completely and then slice into bars or squares. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes 12 large bars or 24 smaller bars.