Last Updated on March 14, 2022 by Kathryn Donangelo
Cheesy Gnocchi Bake is so simple and quick to make. Soft gnocchis are baked to perfection in tomato sauce, melty cheese, and creamy ricotta. This makes a satisfying and easy meal for any night of the week!
This Gnocchi Bake is filled with cozy, comforting, and delicious flavors that you just can’t resist. This is the kind of meal you crave after a long day, or when you simply want a super easy, quick, wholesome meal that requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Soft and pillowy gnocchis are cooked in a bubbly tomato sauce with melted cheese and creamy ricotta. The gnocchis are incredibly tender and make a hearty meal or side dish. This can be made in less than 30 minutes so it makes any night of the week easy.
You only need a handful of ingredients to put this Baked Gnocchi Recipe together and it will quickly become part of your dinner menu rotation. Any type of Pasta Bake is amazing because 1) they are always delicious 2) they are incredibly easy to make 3)Just like this recipe, you can prep the entire dish the night before so all you have to do it bake it.
Gnocchi: you can find gnocchis near the pasta aisle at the grocery store. Gnocchis are very delicate and cook very quickly when boiled.
Marinara sauce: use jarred or a homemade sauce. I always recommend sprucing up the jarred sauce by adding Italian seasoning, fresh basil, a pinch of salt, garlic, and olive oil.
Basil: fresh basil leaves work best and bring the most flavor, especially for this dish.
Ricotta cheese: whole-milk or park-skim cheese can be used. Ricotta will add creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and texture.
Cheese: parmesan and mozzarella cheese are best in this recipe. I always recommend grating and shredding your own cheese to ensure the cheese is extra melty.
Heavy cream: adds the perfect amount of creaminess.
HOW TO MAKE GNOCCHI BAKE
Add more cheese to make this Gnocchi Bake extra cheesy.
Swap the marinara sauce for an alfredo sauce if you prefer a white sauce.
If you love spice, add red chili flakes or paprika for some heat.
Add your favorite protein to make this dish more hearty.
For a healthier and low-carb alternative, use Cauliflower Gnocchi to make a Baked Cauliflower Gnocchi and swap the heavy cream for plain Greek yogurt.
Ravioli or tortellini pasta can be used instead of gnocchi.
There are so many different veggies and proteins you can add to this creamy cheesy Gnocchi Bake! Everything tastes good in this bake so you can customize this exactly how you like it. Also, this is a great way to sneak in veggies for your kiddos. They will love veggies when they are covered in tomato sauce and cheese. 😉
Here are some of my favorite add-ins:
- Ground beef or turkey meat
- Shredded or cubed chicken
- Frozen or canned peas
- Spinach or kale
- Cooked mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli
This Gnocchi Bake is filling enough as a main dish but also works as a side dish. For the most satisfying dinner, serve this Gnocchi Bake with Garlic Brussels Sprouts, Garlic Bread, and Caprese Salad.
LEFTOVERS & STORAGE
This leftover gnocchi bake makes delicious leftovers. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
When ready to reheat, you can microwave, heat in the oven, or on the stovetop in a frying pan. I always prefer heating leftovers on the stovetop as the gnocchi edges will get slightly crispy.
Bake the leftovers in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
OTHER 30 MINUTE DINNER IDEAS
- Cheese Enchiladas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos
- White Bean Soup
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Classic Macaroni and Cheese
CAN’T GET ENOUGH
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
- 1 lb. gnocchi
- 3 cups marinara sauce jarred or homemade
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 5-7 cup fresh basil leaves shredded; plus more for garnsihing
- 3/4 cup whole milk or part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the gnocchi according to package instructions. It should only take 1-2 minutes. Carefully drain the gnocchi (they will be very delicate).
- Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of the baking dish to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Add heavy cream and swirl around the sauce with a spoon just until combined, then add shredded basil leaves.
- Add cooked gnocchi to the dish then add 2 more cups of marinara sauce. Stir together just until combined. Top the gnocchi with dollops of ricotta cheese and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or just until cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with shredded basil and enjoy!
- Add more cheese to make this Gnocchi Bake extra cheesy.
- Swap the marinara sauce for an alfredo sauce if you prefer a white sauce.
- If you love spice, add red chili flakes or paprika for some heat.
- Add your favorite protein to make this dish more hearty.
- For a healthier and low-carb alternative, use Cauliflower Gnocchi and swap the heavy cream for plain Greek yogurt.
- Ravioli or tortellini pasta can be used instead of gnocchi.
- Leftover: This leftover gnocchi bake makes delicious leftovers. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. When ready to reheat, you can microwave, heat in the oven, or on the stovetop in a frying pan. Bake the leftovers in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until heated through.