Last Updated on September 24, 2021 by Kathryn Donangelo
These 30 Minute Easy Cheese Enchiladas are simply the best! Made with only 6 ingredients- these are super cheesy and smothered in a Sour Cream Enchilada Sauce.
I love especially love this 30 Minute Easy Cheese Enchiladas recipe because it’s insanely easy and quick to make. You will be amazed at how fast these enchiladas will come together in 6 simple steps below. I combine red enchilada sauce with sour cream and it makes a deliciously creamy sauce that goes perfectly with these enchiladas!
HOW TO MAKE THESE EASY CHEESE ENCHILADAS
Tortillas: We prefer tacos and enchiladas with flour tortillas as opposed to corn but you can totally make these with corn! If you do, you will be a able to make more sine the corn tortillas are about half the size of a regular flour tortilla.
Sauce: I love red enchilada sauce with this recipe because it compliments the sour cream so well. The sauce is the easiest part! All you do is mix the sour cream and enchilada sauce together for an ultra creamy and delicious sauce. I started adding sour cream to my enchiladas a few years ago and it’s a total game changer.
Cheese: My favorite cheeses to use when making enchiladas is a Mexican blend which consists of sharp cheddar, Colby and Monterey Jack cheese. However, any cheese combination will work!
Toppings: Some toppings you can put on these Cheese Enchiladas once they are cooked is diced onions, green onions, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, jalapeños, and your favorite hot sauce if you want more heat!
Fill, Roll, Repeat: It doesn’t get any easier than this. Simply fill the enchiladas with cheese and onions, roll and repeat. Add enchilada sauce and cheese to the top and bake for 20-25 minutes. Dinner is ready in no time! Serve with beans, rice and your other favorite Mexican side dishes!
CAN I ADD MEAT TO THESE EASY CHEESE ENCHILADAS?
You 100% can add meat to these Cheese Enchilada. I almost always serve these cheese enchiladas with some type of meat if we are eating these for dinner because my husband and I love meat. You can add ground beef or chicken. Try these super easy Spicy Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas I made using a rotisserie chicken, it’s amazing!
To make these with a rotisserie chicken add 1/4 cup of chicken to each tortilla along with cheese and about 1 tablespoon of the Sour Cream Enchilada Sauce on the chicken for additional flavor. Fill, roll, and repeat until you run out of tortillas. Keep in mind you will have leftover chicken and you will have to squeeze the filled tortillas on the baking sheet.
I always recommend doubling this recipe!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE EASY CHEESE ENCHILADAS
- Flour or whole wheat tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Red enchilada sauce
- Yellow onions
- Green onions
- Toppings of your choice
CAN YOU MAKE THESE CHEESE ENCHILADAS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! I often make these ahead of time and then pop them in the oven when ready to eat. You can make these Cheese Enchiladas in the morning or night before. Be sure to wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge until ready to bake. When ready, bake accordingly to the directions and you may need to add a few additional minutes.
CAN I FREEZE THESE ENCHILADAS?
These enchiladas are freezer-friendly! Place enchiladas in an freezer safe pan and cover tightly with plastic wrap and then cover with foil. You can keep these frozen from up to 2 month. Once ready to enjoy, thaw the enchiladas overnight in the refrigerator before baking. Bake accordingly to directions.
If you have leftovers, simply wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When ready to reheat, bake at 350 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes until warm and cheese has remelted.
LOOKING FOR OTHER MEXICAN INSPIRED RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe
- Spicy Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Vegetarian Taco Soup
- Taco Lettuce Wraps
- The Best Guacamole
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Easy Cheese Enchiladas
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- 8 large flour tortillas or whole wheat
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 can, 20 ounces Red enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow onions; diced
- 1/4 cup green onions; thinly sliced
- toppings of your choice; guacamole, sour cream, diced tomatoes, onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the red enchilada sauce and sour cream until combined, creamy and smooth.
- Ladle in about 2 cups of the sour cream enchilada sauce so it covers the bottom of the dish.
- Add 1/4 cup of shredded cheese in the middle of each tortilla. Add a pinch of diced onions and a pinch of sliced green onions. Roll the tortilla and place on the baking dish. Repeat until you have made 8 enchiladas.
- Add the remaining enchilada sauce to the top making sure to get the corners. I like to use a spoon to ensure the top is evenly coated with sauce. Top with 1 cup of cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted perfectly and bubbly. Garnish with more diced yellow onions and sliced green onions. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, chips and dip to make the perfect meal! Enjoy!
- Make these ahead of time- You can make these Cheese Enchiladas in the morning or night before. Be sure to wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge until ready to bake. When ready, bake accordingly to the directions and you may need to add a few additional minutes.