Last Updated on March 18, 2023 by Kathryn Donangelo
This Cheesy Spinach Dip recipe is the ultimate hot dip appetizer. Made with fresh spinach and a super creamy cheese mixture. Baked until bubbly and served with crusty bread or crackers!
PIN this Cheesy Spinach Dip recipe to try later!
Cheesy Spinach Dip Recipe
This Cheesy Spinach Dip recipe is super cheesy, creamy, and loaded with 3 types of cheese. Made with simple ingredients and makes the perfect appetizer whenever you’re craving flavor and lots of gooey cheese!
What makes this Cheesy Spinach Dip different than the classic recipe? This recipe is loaded with cheesy goodness, cream cheese, and it’s baked in the oven so all of the cheeses melt together creating the most creamy dip, ever! Once you make this Hot Cheesy Spinach Dip, you’ll ditch the old recipe because it’s just too good.
If you love spinach dip, be sure to try my Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip, Low Fat Spinach Dip, and Bunny Spinach Dip (made with soup mix)!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Extra creamy dip: This isn’t like your typical spinach dip because this recipe is extra creamy, cheesey since everything gets melty when baked,
Easy recipe: You only need a few ingredients to make this creamy spinach dip.
Perfect for all occasions: Make this dip all year round! It’s the perfect appetizer for any occasions, any holiday, potluck, game day, and your next party.
Make-ahead: You can easily make this dip ahead of time so all you have to do it pop it in the oven to bake the day you want to serve it. This will be a crowd pleaser anywhere you take it!
- Fresh spinach: I love using fresh baby spinach instead of frozen spinach because it tastes fresher and provides better flavor. You want to be sure to squeeze out as much moisture as you can once it’s sautéed. Alternatively you can use frozen thawed spinach.
- Cream cheese: This is the base of the Spinach Artichoke Dip! You can use regular full-fat or low-fat cream cheese. Full fat cream cheese will make this dip extra creamy. Make sure the cream cheese is room temperature so it’s easier to mix together.
- Mayonnaise: Helps thicken the dip and adds to the signature creamy spinach dip flavor.
- Sour cream: Adds a tangy flavor and creaminess.
- Spices: We use a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, dried onion flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Cheese: The combination of mozzarella cheese, Monterey jack cheese, and parmesan cheese is perfect. You can use various cheeses in this recipe such as sharp cheddar cheese, white cheddar, gouda, swiss cheese, and any of your favorites.
How To Make Cheesy Spinach Dip
Cook spinach. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pan to medium heat and add spinach and olive oil. Sauté for about 5 minutes until spinach is cooked.Add the cooked spinach to a colander and drain all the excess liquid. Let the spinach cool for about 5 minutes and then chop. Set aside.
Combine and mix cheese mixture. In a medium or large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Stir well until combined and creamy.
Combine spinach. Fold in the chopped spinach and mix until all of the ingredients are combined. Transfer the spinach mixture to a small baking dish. Sprinkle with more cheese (optional).
Bake. Bake the dip for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve with your favorite crackers, chips, veggies, or crusty bread. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Variations
Add spice: Add red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce to the dip before baking.
Shred your own cheese: I always recommend shredding your own cheese for any recipe. It just tastes better than the packaged stuff and is so much cheesier when melted.
Healthier alternative: Use nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, low-fat cream cheese, low-fat sour cream, and low-fat cheeses.
Spinach Artichoke Dip: Want this dip on the chunkier side? Add drained and roughly chopped artichoke hearts.
Add-ins: Bacon bits, pickled or fresh diced jalapeños, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, pimentos, and fresh herbs make great options.
What To Serve With This Cheesy Spinach Dip?
This Cheesy Spinach Dip recipe is great with seeded crackers, tortilla chips, pita chips, pita bread, or breads (such as chunks or slices of sourdough bread, garlic bread, french bread, or toasted baguette slices).
Fresh vegetables are another great option. I like crunchy veggies to dip such as carrots, celery, cucumbers, and bell peppers.
If you want to get even fancier, add your warm dip to a sourdough bread bowl. It looks pretty and everyone loves this idea.
Leftovers & Storage
This dip makes delicious leftovers and can be enjoyed either warm or cold. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 to 5 days. To heat, microwave or place in the oven.
Make Ahead Of Time
If you want to save some time, this recipe can be made the day or night before if needed. It is so easy and takes less than 15 minutes to prep. Simply make the recipe, place the dip in a baking dish, and cover with plastic wrap. When ready to bake, add 10 additional minutes to the cooking time.
Other Favorite Appetizers
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Clam Dip
- Feta Cheese Dip
- French Onion Dip
- Smoked Salmon Appetizer Bites
- Pizza Dip
- Smoked Salmon Dip
Can’t Get Enough
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on social media: Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out and leave a star rating in the recipe card! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Cheesy Spinach Dip Recipe
- 1 12 ounce bag fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese 1 brick
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pan to medium heat and add spinach and olive oil. Sauté for about 5 minutes until spinach is cooked.
- Add the cooked spinach to a colander and drain all the excess water. Let the spinach cool for about 5 minutes and then chop. Set aside.
- In a medium or large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Stir well until combined and creamy.
- Fold in the chopped spinach and mix until all of the ingredients are combined. Transfer the dip mixture to a small baking dish. Sprinkle with more cheese (optional).
- Bake the dip for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve with your favorite crackers, chips, veggies, or crusty bread. Enjoy!
This looks super cheesy!! What a great appetizer for the holidays.
Sara Welch says
This was such a quick and easy dip for an afternoon snack! Adding this to my Christmas menu; easily, a new favorite recipe!
I made this dip for a party over the weekend and it was amazing! Everyone raves about it!
Luci Petlack says
This looks so cheesy and good. I can’t wait to try it!
I absolutely love spinach dip! This is the creamiest, cheesiest version I’ve ever tried! Yum!!