As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Sweet Strawberry Waffles are light, fluffy, and bursting with fresh strawberry flavor in each bite. These waffles are freezer-friendly and can be made in advance.
Strawberry Waffles make a delicious breakfast any day of the week. They are crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Loaded with fresh strawberries and sweetened with strawberry jam so these are filled with flavor.
This Strawberry Waffle recipe is made with simple ingredients and can easily be made into a healthier version by making a few ingredient swaps. Both kids and adults will love these waffles, I know my toddler did!
My favorite ways to eat these is by topping them with more fresh strawberry slices, powdered sugar and even butter and pure maple syrup. See below for a full list of other topping ideas.
Since these waffles are made with strawberries, these are fun to make on Valentine’s Day along with my Strawberry Muffins, and Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats. I also love making them in strawberry hearts by cutting them out with a cookie cutter. 🙂
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Flour: Spoon and level regular all-purpose flour when measuring it. Be sure not to scoop it out of the bag using the measuring cup. This way, you won’t accidentally measure out too much. You can also swap the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour if you wanted a healthier alternative.
- Whole large eggs: We use 2 whole eggs, it’s best if the egg is at room temperature so it incorporates in the batter better.
- Baking powder: Helps the waffles rise and turn a golden brown.
- Vanilla extract: Adds a warm flavor. You could also use a vanilla bean paste instead if you love vanilla flavor.
- Strawberry jam: This is a key ingredient because it adds a strawberry flavor and also sweetens the waffles.
- Butter: Be sure the butter is melted and slightly cooled. You could also use vegetable oil or canola oil instead.
- Sugar: Both granulated sugar and brown sugar make these perfectly sweetened.
- Milk: Low-fat or whole milk.
- Strawberries: Fresh strawberries work best. It’s extremely important that the strawberries get patted dry, otherwise they can make the waffle batter too watery which will affect the texture.
how to make strawberry waffles
Mix ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except for the strawberries. Mix just until combined, be sure not to over-mix.
Add strawberries: Fold in strawberries and let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes.
Heat waffle iron: In the meantime, heat a waffle iron and grease with nonstick cooking spray, melted coconut oil, or melted butter.
Cook waffles: Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the hot waffle iron (or until the batter covers the waffle iron). Cook until ready, about 2-3 minutes, or until the waffle indicates they are ready. The cook time will vary on different waffle irons.
Serve and enjoy: Serve immediately, or place the cooked waffles in a 300 degree oven to keep warm until ready to serve. Top with more fresh strawberries, dust with powdered sugar, or any of your favorites (optional). Enjoy!
recipe tips & variations
- Make sure your waffle iron is very hot when you put your waffle batter on. I like to preheat my waffle iron first thing when I start the recipe.
- If you want extra crispy waffles, leave the waffles on the waffle iron a few minutes longer than the waffle iron indicates (be sure not to burn them). Also, try not to peak and open the waffle iron before the waffles are done cooking.
- Place cooked waffles in a single layer on a wire rack and store them in a 300 degree oven until ready to serve. This will keep them warm and toasty with a slight crunch.
- PAT DRY STRAWBERRIES! You don’t want to skip this step otherwise your waffle batter could turn extremely watery and the waffles could come out soggy or may not be able to cook properly on the waffle iron.
IDEAS FOR WAFFLE TOPPINGS
The waffle topping possibilities are endless! You can truly add any of your favorite toppings, below are a few of my favorites.
- Peanut butter (or any nut butter) and sliced bananas
- Whipped cream
- Sprinkles (serve these for a birthday breakfast)
- Butter and maple syrup
- Fruit compote
- Strawberry syrup
- Yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit
- Chocolate chips
- Fresh berries
leftovers & storage
To-store: Make sure the waffles are completely cooled then place them in an airtight container or large ziplock freezer bag. Store for up to 2-3 days. To warm, place waffles in the toaster to reheat and get crispy.
To freeze and make-ahead: I always recommend making a batch and freezing them so you always have waffles ready to go. After you make a batch of waffles, let them cool completely then wrap each individually with plastic wrap. Place wrapped waffles in an airtight container or large ziplock bag. They will last up to 3 months.
Other Easy breakfast recipes
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join thousands of subscribers & get
easy recipes via email for FREE!
Want to be Featured?
If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out…
Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
Easy, simple, and delicious recipes anyone can make. Click the button below so you don’t miss any recipes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk low-fat or whole
- 1/4 cup melted butter slightly cooled
- 1 cup fresh diced strawberries patted dry
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except for the strawberries. Mix just until combined, be sure not to over-mix.
- Fold in strawberries and let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a waffle iron and grease with nonstick cooking spray, melted coconut oil, or melted butter.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the waffle iron (or until the batter covers the waffle iron). Cook until ready, about 2-3 minutes, or until the waffle indicates they are ready.
- Serve immediately, or place the cooked waffles in a 300 degree oven to keep warm until ready to serve. Top with more fresh strawberries or dust with powdered sugar (optional). Enjoy!