Last Updated on
Add an extra healthy twist and spicy kick to your hummus! This spicy & creamy avocado hummus makes a perfect creamy snack or appetizer!
This is the smoothest and creamiest hummus you will make. I love to make a large batch and keep it in the fridge all week long! This avocado hummus is ultra creamy and has a spicy kick from the jalapenos.
Serve with your favorite chips such as pretzel thins or pita chips. For an extra healthy twist, serve with carrot or celery sticks! I like to serve it with both! I tend to always go for the chips and my husband goes for the carrots so that’s why I typically always use both. You can serve this as a snack, appetizer or even as a side for a meal.
I’m obsessed with them. I love them any way….plain with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper, in guac (obviously), salads, on toast, and now in hummus! I didn’t realize how much more creamier the avocado makes in hummus. You need to try it for yourself! This recipe takes less than 10 minutes to whip up. I recommend doubling the batch because it will go quick!
I passionately love hummus and I try to make it from scratch when I can because it’s just so darn easy! Some favorite hummus recipes from my blog are my Homemade Artichoke Hummus, Roasted Garlic Spinach Hummus, and my ‘Everything’ Hummus. They are all super easy and healthy!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Creamy and Spicy Avocado Hummus:
- chick peas
- olive oil
- greek yogurt
- lemon juice
- salt + pepper
Here’s how you make it:
Add all ingredients to a food processor.
Blend until ultra creamy and smooth.
Serve with your favorite veggies or chips.
Spicy & Creamy Avocado Hummus
- 1 15 oz can chick peas, well drained
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled and cut in cubes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil; extra virgin plus more for serving if desired
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. fresh jalapeno; chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Greek yogurt; plain
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pulse chick peas, olive oil, lime juice, and garlic in a food processor until smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add avocado and pulse mixture until smooth and creamy, about 1 - 2 minutes longer.
- Serve topped with more olive oil if desired and sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes. Serve with pita chips or fresh sliced veggies!
CAN I OMIT THE JALAPENOS?
Of course! I recently just started to like the taste of jalapenos so if you prefer to have a non-spicy hummus, go right ahead! It will still taste great.
WILL SOUR CREAM WORK INSTEAD OF GREEK YOGURT?
It definitely will. I always prefer yogurt over sour cream in recipes like this because yogurt has more protein and less calories than sour cream. Sour cream will still be fine to use and make the hummus creamy as well.
WHAT ARE OTHER WAYS I CAN ENJOY THIS HUMMUS BESIDES USING IT AS A DIP?
You can use this as a mayonnaise substitute! I actually prefer this hummus instead of using mayo any day since I’m not a huge fan of mayo. You can also use this as a spread on sandwiches, wraps or bases for tuna or chicken salad!