Last Updated on April 28, 2020 by Kathryn Donangelo
These Spicy Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas are made with a rotisserie chicken and filled with shredded cheese and spicy enchilada sauce!
If you love enchiladas, you will absolutely love these! This meal is so easy to make and it is made with moist and tender rotisserie chicken from the grocery store! These easy and cheesy chicken enchiladas are perfect for any night of the week. They also can save you when you are in a pinch for time.
HOW TO PERFECTLY SHRED ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
Remove all of the chicken meat from the chicken. Be sure to omit any small bones and skin. Place all of the meat in a large mixing bowl and with an electric mixer, mix on high for 2-3 minutes or until your chicken is shredded.
RED VS. GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE
You totally use either for this enchilada sauce for this recipe. The red sauce is a bit more pungent and spicy to me and the green is slightly sweeter. Keep in mind the red enchilada sauce is typically made with more vinegar so it has a distinct flavor. Both sauces are made with different chilies.. so it’s really up to what you prefer and how much spice you like.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THESE SPICY CHICKEN AND CHEESE ENCHILADAS
- Flour tortillas
- Rotisserie chicken
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt + pepper
- Granulated garlic
- Sour cream
- Spicy red enchilada sauce
- Green onions
LOOKING FOR OTHER MEXICAN INSPIRED RECIPES? TRY THESE!
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Spicy Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken; about 3 cups
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 20 oz. can spicy red enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup green onions; sliced
- sliced avocado; optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, ladle in about ¾ cup of enchilada sauce so it covers the bottom of the dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir in shredded chicken, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, green onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream and enchilada sauce until smooth, creamy and combined.
- Add 2 cups of the enchilada sauce to the chicken mixture and mix until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Using a tablespoon, spread chicken mixture (about ¼ cup per tortilla) in the middle of the tortilla, like you would if you were making burritos. Roll the enchilada and place on baking dish. Repeat until you are out of chicken.
- Top enchiladas with the rest of the enchilada sauce and 1 cup of cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted perfectly and bubbly. Garnish with green onions and sliced avocados (optional), enjoy!