As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This Roasted Cabbage and Chicken Fall Soup is hearty, delicious and bursting with flavor. Similar to a classic chicken soup recipe with a Fall twist!
Fall is here (f i n a l l y) and that means it is officially soup season. I love all soups. I could pretty much eat soup every day regardless of the weather. This soup is extremely easy to make and comes in handy if you are trying to beat a cold. This soup is packed with nutritious vegetables and makes for a wholesome meal! You can make the roasted cabbage the night before and use the leftovers for this soup! I may or may not have done that before 😉
Sometimes for a side dish, I like to slice a whole cabbage and roast it until it is slightly golden brown and and serve it with our main dish. It is a simple, yet delicious way to eat cabbage. This is where I got my original idea of adding cabbage to this soup..hint, hint!
I am slightly obsessed with rotisserie chickens because they are so convenient and tasty. They are perfect for a quick and easy dinner when you are wanting something easy and quick. Check out this simple recipe I made for dinner a few months back using rotisserie chicken: Cheesy Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas.
Anyways, back to my soup! I like to double the recipe on this so I can freeze half of it. I mean, how can you not love a hot bowl of soup on a cold night? You should definitely add this to your winter dinner menu!
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Roasted Cabbage and Chicken Fall Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow medium onion; diced
- 1 cup carrots; chopped I used baby carrots because I like smaller size
- Salt and Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 small potatoes or 1 medium potato; cubed
- 1 cup celery; chopped and peeled
- 32 oz. natural chicken broth
- Half of a seasoned Rotisserie Chicken; skin removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups of cabbage; roughly chopped
- Roasted Cabbage Ingredients:
- 1 head of a small- medium cabbage
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt pepper, garlic powder- to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To roast the cabbage: lightly drizzle olive oil on 2 roasting sheets or cookie sheets covered with foil. Remove the bottom core of the cabbage carefully with a knife. Slice the head of cabbage into ¼ - ½ inch slices. Place on the roasting sheets and lightly drizzle the slices with more olive oil. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake for 15 minutes until the cabbage looks wilted. Carefully with a spatula or tongs, remove the cabbage from the oven and flip so the cabbage can be evenly roasted. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown with some crispy edges.
- In a large soup pot, sauté the chopped onion in olive oil until onions are translucent in color. Add the carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to flavor the vegetables, then add in Italian seasoning. Stir with a wooden spoon occasionally and sauté for about 10-15 minutes. Add in the celery and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chicken, and roasted cabbage; simmer for about 15 minutes on low-medium heat. All of the vegetables will be cooked by this step. Serve with warm crusty bread for a complete and cozy fall meal- enjoy!