Looking for a simple bite-sized dessert to make?! These are quick, easy and simple– I made my Dad a Lemon Meringue Pie for Father’s Day on Sunday with Pillsbury® pie crust and I had one roll of pie crust leftover. First of all, I love love love using Pillsbury® pie crust because it is so easy and it’s delicious! It also always turns into a perfectly light golden brown crust when it is baked properly. Secondly, there are so many different ways to use pie crust! Check out my Apple Cinnamon Pie Crust Cookie recipe HERE. There is also nothing wrong with making your pie crust from scratch of course, it just will take a bit more time.
Mini Cannoli Bites
- 1 premade pie crust; I use Pillsbury’s® pie crust
- 12 oz. whole milk Ricotta Cheese; strained
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips; plus more for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Unroll the pie crust onto a cutting board or clean flat surface. Use a 2 ½ inch round biscuit cutter (or a cup will work if you don’t have a biscuit cutter) and cut out 12 rounds of pie crust. Place rounds in a mini muffin pan. Use your fingers to press the dough to fit the pan.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until pie cups are a light golden brown. Once baked, let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta, mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and mini chocolate chips until combined.
- Spoon in ricotta filling into pie cups OR if you want to make them look extra pretty, scoop filling into a zip-lock bag and cut the tip off. Squeeze filling into pie cups and sprinkle mini chocolate chips.
There are only 5 ingredients to make these bites so you should definitely give them a try. They are not too sweet and you can also top these with fresh diced strawberries. If you like your cannoli filling a little sweeter, add ½ cup of powdered sugar instead of 1/3 cup. The mascarpone cheese is like an Italian cream cheese so it will make your filling extra creamy. You will probably have extra filling so you can either make more pie cups if you have more pie crust, or you can eat the filling as it is for a dessert or sweet snack. Just scoop into a small bowl add chocolate chips and enjoy! It would also count as low-carb too if you ate it this way 😉