Green Detox Smoothie
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This Green Detox Smoothie is packed with plenty of vitamins, minerals and makes a healthy breakfast or snack! Satisfying and totally delicious.
PIN Green Detox Smoothie to try it later!
Green smoothies are so much more than just a trend. Packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals, you can enjoy this as a breakfast, meal replacement or post workout smoothie. Add protein powder to make this the ultimate well-rounded treat.
Whether you’ve had a long weekend of eating and indulging in your (not so healthy) favorite treats or you just need a charged way to start the day, I crave this Detox Smoothie. An immediate pick-me-up of healthy ingredients that make me feel good.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS GREEN DETOX SMOOTHIE
- Baby spinach: this adds tons of vitamins and nutrients. The spinach flavor is hidden once it’s blended. Kale, another power food, can be swapped out. The leafy greens are what give this drink its signature and namestack hue.
- Ice cubes: to thick the smoothie and make it frothy without watering it down.
- Strawberries: also chock full of antioxidants, they make this smoothie fruity and refreshing.
- Banana: adds potassium and adds a creamy texture. The banana also adds a natural sweetness.
- Milk or almond milk: Every smoothie needs a liquid to make it smooth. In staying with the healthy theme, I try to use unsweetened almond milk, but any milk, dairy or not, will work.
- Fresh lemon juice: perks up the flavor and makes this refreshing. I can not stress enough the importance of fresh lemon juice. Citrus starts to lose it super power potency the moment is it squeezed, so the bottled stuff will never carry as much flavor or nutritional value as fresh.
- Honey: this adds a hint of natural sweetness. Make sure the honey is slightly melted so ot incorporates into the smoothie. Agave is another option as a sweetener.
- Chia seeds: I love adding chia seeds to smoothies because it gives the smooth an extra boost of fiber. If blended well enough, you won’t even notice that were added.
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS TO ADD
Green smoothies are so easy to customize, which is perhaps why I never tire. There are literally so many combinations that you will never drink the same drink twice. Use the original recipe as a base and then play around with this fun variations.
- Kale – Leafy greens are loaded with nutrients. And as long as you’re adding some fruit in there, you won’t even taste it. Kale can be in addition to the spinach or in place of.
- Extra fruit – Blueberries, raspberries, pineapple or even green apple.
- Greek yogurt – Adding yogurt to a smoothie adds to its creamy texture and also protein. However, keep in mind it will no longer be vegan is that is what you are aiming for.
- Protein powder – Adding protein to a smoothie can really help to fill you up and keep you full for longer. Vanilla is my favorite for this blend.
- Collagen – You can buy collagen in powder form just like protein powder. Just put a scoop or two in before blending.
- Fresh ginger – Ginger is said to help with digestion and inflammation and would be a great addition to your green smoothie recipe. Just don’t add too much because the flavor is quite strong.
- Coconut water – You can replace the milk in this recipe for coconut water if you prefer.
- Flax seeds – You can use these in place of the chia seeds. They also add a boost of fiber and once blended, you’d never know they were there.
- Almond butter or peanut butter – Any nut butter will alter the flavor quite a bit, but it’s also another way to add a little extra protein to your smoothie and switch it up.
CAN THIS SMOOTHIE BE VEGAN?
You can easily make this smoothie vegan by using soy milk or almond milk instead of regular milk. This smoothie is already naturally gluten-free. As stated before, just keep in mind that if using regular milk or yogurt, it will no longer be vegan.
Something else to keep in mind, some protein powders and collagen powders are made from animal products. So read the labels before adding to your fruit smoothie.
HOW TO MAKE THIS GREEN DETOX SMOOTHIE A MEAL?
Delicious smoothies are a great option for a grab and go replacement meal. They’re easy to throw together and you can even prep bags of the ingredients beforehand and throw them in the freezer.
You can simply make this smoothie a wholesome meal by adding 2 – 4 scoops of protein powder. The protein powder flavor could be plain or vanilla. Blend the protein powder with the rest of the ingredients until completely smooth and blended. Adding 1 cup of Greek yogurt to this recipe will also add protein.
I am definitely not a healthcare professional, and this information should only be taken as informational and not medical advice. That being said, there are lots of benefits to drinking green detox smoothie recipes.
They are a great way to get healthy foods into your diet while also tasting good. Kids even love them!
- Detox – As the name states, it acts as a detox for your body. Fiber is a natural way to rid your body of toxins, so adding extra ingredients like chia seeds or flax seeds helps with that. Water in the ice also hydrates and helps to flush the system.
- Immunity – Fresh vegetables and fresh fruits are packed with vitamins and minerals. Consuming things like Vitamin A and Vitamin C is the perfect way to boost your immune system.
- Skin – Vitamins C and E are naturally beauty enhancers. Hello glowing skin!
- Weight Loss – If you’re replacing a meal with a smoothie, you’re consuming fewer calories while also feeling fuller.
- Digestion – Drinking a green smooth provides lots of digestive benefits. When pureed, leafy greens are easier to digest and also loaded with fiber which is great for moving things along.
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie (protein packed)
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Spinach Juice with Apple and Cucumber
- Creamy Pomegranate Power Smoothie
- Blueberry Muffin Smoothie
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook.
Green Detox Smoothie
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups ice
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- 1 whole banana
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey; melted
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds; optional
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- You can simply make this smoothie a wholesome meal by adding 2 - 4 scoops of protein powder. The protein powder flavor could be plain or vanilla. Blend the protein powder with the rest of the ingredients until completely smooth and blended.
- Adding 1 cup of Greek yogurt to this recipe will also add protein to this smoothie.
This recipe was originally published on May 26, 2020. It was republished on January 2, 2022, to include additional information.
Love the little bit of lemon juice in this smoothie to give it a tart kick! Delicious and perfect way to start the day.
Thank you, Gina!
This is so healthy and I love every combination of making this perfect smoothie. Best for a healthy start of the day.
So true, thank you!
That sounds utterly delicious. Would be great for breakfast.
It’s so delicious for breakfast and I love how it’s healthy 🙂
Such a wonderful start to the new year! I absolutely love that vibrant green color. So easy too!
Thank you so much!
This is great! How many calories per serving?
Hi! There are 235 calories per serving. I just added the nutrition information at the end of the recipe card. Enjoy!