As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This easy homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe blows the canned stuff out of the water. Loaded with two types of mushrooms in a creamy, savory broth, you’ll never know it is a healthier version of the comfort food favorite.
If you love healthier soups, try my Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup!
Chillier weather is on the way and when it hits, there is nothing better than curling up on the couch with a blanket and a steaming bowl of hearty soup. No one is the wiser that this version of the comfort class is lighter than its traditional counterparts.
Still super creamy, this soup can be made in under 40 minutes and uses a fraction of the cream. Mushrooms infuse the broth with earthiness creating the most delicious combination of flavors. You can ditch your canned Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup and make this instead.
The best part about this soup is it’s healthier! This is a lightened up version of Cream of Mushroom Soup because I use half the amount of cream that a traditional Cream of Mushroom Soup calls for and it is still super creamy and luscious!
Tender bits of mushrooms are complemented by butter, olive oil, garlic, onions, herbs, wine, chicken stock and other flavors to give this soup the most satisfying flavors. All of the ingredients melt together so perfectly and has just the right amount of cream that makes this soup creamy.
I especially love serving this Cream of Mushroom Soup with bread especially my Rustic Olive Bread, Olive and Herb Focaccia and even my Fluffy Dinner Rolls! If you love mushrooms, you’ll love my Skillet Chicken Marsala that’s loaded with mushrooms.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP (HEALTHY VERSION)
- Butter: salted or unsalted. I use unsalted so I can control the saltiness.
- Olive oil: you can also use canola oil or vegetable out.
- Yellow onion: you can also use white onion but I do not recommend using red.
- Garlic: fresh is best, I don’t recommend using jarred garlic.
- White + Cremini mushrooms: you can use any type of mushrooms for this recipe. These are our favorite! Some other great options are portobello and baby bella mushrooms.
- Fresh thyme + ground sage: used to create a depth of flavors. I find that fresh thyme brings out more flavors but dried thyme will work too!
- Salt + pepper: for flavor.
- White wine: I love using a dry to medium white wine such as Chardonnay. If you don’t want to add wine, sub in chicken broth.
- All-purpose flour: needed to create thickness in the soup.
- Chicken broth: low-sodium is best so you can control the flavor.
- Beef bouillon cube: you could also use chicken or vegetable bouillon instead. Bouillon cubes provides an incredible amount of flavor!
- Heavy cream or milk: needed to make this mushroom soup creamy and adds richness! Half and half or any reduced fat milk will work. See notes below on how to make this soup recipe dairy-free and vegan.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
STEP TWO. Add the mushrooms, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms turn a light golden brown.
STEP THREE. Add the wine and simmer for a few minutes, then sprinkle the mushroom mixture with flour and mix well until combined. Add the chicken broth, crumbled beef bouillon cube and stir. Let the soup simmer on low for about 15 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally until the soup has slightly thickened and has no lumps.
MUSHROOM SOUP VARIATIONS
You can alter this recipe to your needs or preference. There are many different variations of this recipe that you could make!
Vegetarian Mushroom Soup: simply use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and you can replace the beef bouillon cube for a vegetarian bouillon cube!
Dairy-Free Mushroom Soup: instead of using heavy whipping cream or milk, you can use any nut milk such as almond milk. Just make sure it is not flavored or sweetened.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup: use any type of nut milk instead of heavy whipping cream or milk (see note above). You can sub the butter for a vegan butter or use all olive oil instead. Also use vegetable broth and a vegetable bouillon cube.
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP (HEALTHY VERSION)
This Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe will make you feel warm and cozy and it’s even better because it’s a healthier version!
Tender bits of mushrooms are complimented by butter, olive oil, garlic, onions, herbs, wine, chicken stock and other flavors to give this soup the most satisfying flavors. All of the ingredients melt together so perfectly and has just the right amount of cream (or milk) that makes this soup creamy.
If you love mushrooms, you’ll love my Skillet Chicken Marsala recipe that is loaded with mushrooms!
Store leftover Cream of Mushroom Soup in an airtight container for up to 5-6 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze this soup for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, simply thaw and reheat over the stove or microwave.
National Soup Swap Day 2021
Happy National Soup Swap Day! Today, I’m linking up with other bloggers for a virtual soup swap hosted by Kate’s Recipe Box – and we’re all sharing some tasty soup recipes to warm you up!
- Dill Pickle Soup from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Alphabet Soup from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dairy Free Cream of Asparagus Soup from Frugal & Fit
- Quick Vegetable Soup from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Clean the Refrigerator Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Garlic Soup with Potatoes, Kale, & Bacon from Savory Moments
- Cream of Mushroom Soup from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- 30 Minute Two Bean Tomato Soup from Blogghetti
- Vichyssoise from That Recipe
- Rotisserie Chicken Alphabet Soup from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Chicken and Black Bean Vegetable Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Potato and Spinach Soup from Magical Ingredients
- Conch Soup from HomeMadeZagat
- Copycat Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow-Cooker Pasta Fagioli Soup from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Corn Chowder from House of Nash Eats
- Lobster Bisque from The Redhead Baker
- Bacon-Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hong Kong Style Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup from Making Miracles
- Cauliflower Cheddar Soup from Devour Dinner
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Hostess at Heart
CAN’T GET ENOUGH?
Subscribe and I’ll send all my newest and FREE recipes to your inbox! You can also keep up with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. If you make this recipe, please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram so I can see and feature you!
Cream of Mushroom Soup (Healthy Version)
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion; diced
- 4 cloves garlic; minced
- 8 oz. white mushrooms; cut in half and sliced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms; cut in half and sliced
- 2 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt; adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or milk
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot or dutch oven overn medium-high heat until melted. Sauté onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until mushrooms turn a light golden color.
- Add wine and let simmer for a few minutes, then sprinkle the mushroom mixture with flour and mix well until combined. Add the chicken broth, crumbled beef boullion cube and stir. Let the soup simmer on low for about 15 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally until the soup has slightly thickened and has no lumps.
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream (or milk) and cook for another few minutes. Serve warmed with crusty bread, enjoy!