Last Updated on
One of the best things to order when going out for Chinese food is chicken or shrimp fried rice..at least that’s my favorite! I tried making a ‘skinny’ version at home and I liked it better than regular white rice. Plus, quinoa is such a great grain to eat and is loaded with nutrients. Next time I am going to swop the chicken out for shrimp or maybe even pork to try new things. Don’t be afraid to try your favorite restaurant dishes at home!
2 chicken breasts; cubed
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup of your favorite teriyaki sauce (I used Trader Joe’s)
1 cup white pearl quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 small yellow onion; chopped
2 garlic cloves; chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup zucchini; chopped
1. Add cubed chicken, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and ginger into a mixing bowl. Evenly coat chicken with spoon and let marinate in refrigerator until ready to use.
2. In a medium sauce pan on medium high heat, add chicken broth and quinoa. Stir and bring to a boil; about 10 minutes. Once broth is boiling, turn off heat and let quinoa simmer for 20 minutes stirrng occasionally.
3. In the meantime, in a large skillet add sesame oil and saute onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
4. Add marinated chicken (be sure to add in all of the marinating sauce) to skillet with onions and garlic and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink anymore.
5. Add in peas, corn, zucchini, and let cook until chicken is fully cooked (about 5-7 more minutes). Once chicken is cooked, add cooked quinoa and pan fry for a 3 minutes. Stir to combine the quinoa, chicken, and veggies.