Last Updated on
I love zucchini boats because there are so many different options to stuff them with! I love lasagna so of course I wanted to stuff these with all of the same decadent flavors as you would get with the classic lasagna with noodles. This healthy twist is perfect without the carbs–believe it or not! They are also great reheated the next day so I would recommend making extra for leftovers.
*It’s important to look for zucchini that are a bit wider in width than usual so you have plenty of room to stuff. It makes a HUGE difference and is very helpful. #theRecipeRedux
- 4 medium zucchini sliced into halves through the length
- 1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 4 tsp olive oil divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats--set aside.
- In a mixing bowl stir together ricotta cheese, egg and 1 1/2 Tbsp of the parsley. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the parmesan cheese--set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble beef into pan, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up beef when stirring, until browned. Stir in marinara sauce and 1 Tbsp of the basil, remove from heat.
- To assemble boats, brush both sides of of zucchini lightly with remaining 2 tsp olive oil and place in two baking pans. Divide cheese mixture among zucchini spooning about 2 1/2 Tbsp into each, then spread cheese mixture into and even layer. Divide sauce among zucchini adding a few heaping spoonfuls to each. Cover baking dishes with foil and place in oven side by side and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle tops with remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella, return to oven and bake until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle tops with with fresh basil and parsley and serve warm.