“I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
One of the perks about blogging is I get the opportunity to try out different products and participate in contests. This time, I had the opportunity to work with Toufayan Bakeries who carries a vast variety of products such as pita breads, pita chips, wraps, flat breads, bagels, croissants and more! I was sent 8 different flavors of pita bread and I though this recipe would work perfectly with the Classic White pita bread (the Whole Wheat would work great too). Pita bread is great because of its versatility and ability to create so many types of snacks/meals out of it! Also and most importantly, it has a great nutritional value added to them–each pita has 6 gram of protein in it and is only 150 calories.
For this creation, I was originally going to post a “BLT Sandwich” recipe using the pita bread as the “sandwich bread”. Then I wanted to add cheese to the recipe and realized a pizza was the way to go! I usually don’t like too many different toppings on my pizza—less is more to me. But not in this case. I love my bacon extra crispy so there is a ton of crunch and a lot of flavor in this. The bacon, cheese, tomato, lettuce and dressing make this combination come together and it’s pair perfectly!
Mini BLT Pizzas
- 4 Toufayan’s Pita Bread’s I used classic white
- ½ cup tomato sauce you may not use it all
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese; shredded
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 roma tomato; thinly sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes; sliced in quarters optional
- 1 head of romaine lettuce; shredded
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place pita breads on a lined baking sheet with foil.
- Place strips of bacon on a cold frying pan. Do not have them overlap too much. Cook bacon low and slow. Once you hear the bacon crackle and see fat release, flip bacon with tongs. Keep flipping bacon until evenly brown. Place cooked bacon on a cooling rack layered with paper towels (so access fat can be absorbed). When bacon is cooled, crumble into pieces.
- Add about 1 Tbsp. of tomato sauce on each pita bread. Swirl it around until covered, then sprinkle cheddar cheese and about 3 sliced of tomatoes. Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted for about 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a bowl toss the lettuce, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt and pepper until well combined. Set in fridge until pizza is ready.
- Once cheese has melted, top the mini pizzas with bacon, lettuce and more tomatoes! Enjoy!!! I apologize in advanced if I got you hooked on this—you can always use turkey bacon for a healthier alternative.
This pizza has all the components of one of the most popular sandwiches around—even the mayo, and I even added some olive oil to the dressing to make it even more creamy. The mayo dressing really gives this recipe a richer taste that makes all your taste buds happy.