This will probably be your new favorite veggie dish to make..This makes for the most beautiful side dish! It was so pretty, I almost felt bad eating it..well not really because it smelt so good the entire time it was roasting in the oven.
This was such a fun dish to make because you can add your favorite veggies. I personally think the squash, zucchini and potato paired perfectly together. You can certainly add in sliced onions, tomatoes, or even parsnips or other veggies that are in season. The veggies that I used are almost always in our fridge at home so I wanted to create a recipe with what I had.
This dish is so beautifully spiraled and all of the herbed vegetables roast together so perfectly.
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil; plus 1 teaspoons
1 large russet potato
1 large yellow squash
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp salt and pepper each
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese; grated
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Saute the onion and garlic in 2 teaspoons of olive oil for 5-6 minutes until slightly translucent.
- Place in the bottom of a round casserole dish or tart pan.
- Slice the potatoes, squash and zucchini in round ¼ inch thick slices. I used my mandolin, it made perfect slices!
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the vegetables, olive oil, Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until veggies are coated.
- Layer them alternatively in a circular motion on top of the onion mixture. Make sure to fit them in tightly and create a spiral. Sprinkle with more cheese and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
You might be wondering what a tian is? (I was, so don’t feel bad if you didn’t know). I kept seeing different tians on Pinterest and I probably repined a bunch of them! A tian (pronounced like TAY-AN) simply refers to a dish of thinly sliced vegetables that are cooked in olive oil and baked au gratin. What’s au gratin? It is a French cuisine and a culinary technique of browning in a shallow dish and sprinkled with cheese or breadcrumbs.